Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardtop Hardware

Default Hardtop Hardware

Okay, looks like I am receiving a hardtop soon and my car has never had one mounted. I don't have any of the extra parts. I've seen those frankenstein bolts at the rear on other cars and I know there are side latches needed; does anyone know the part numbers? Is it okay to mount the hardtop w/o side latches? Any prior hardtop owner want to swap parts with me?

Thx.

M.net hardtop FAQ has been pretty handy for me. Take a peek at this link as re: part numbers and such...
    http://www.miata.net/garage/hardtop/#99/99

I know that there are persons who choose, for one reason or another, to not use the side latches (top didn't come with any, non-hardtop rollbar, et al.). I'd personally not feel the top to be very secure without them, but that's just me.

Should you be interested in using the side latches at some point, when I ordered my striker plates, they came with the needed bolts. Don't know if that's just a Trussville thing, but thought it might be handy to know.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Only thing you'll need are the Frankenstein bolts (MadMerv can probably hook you up cheap or maybe you can swap with the seller). I never used the side latches (never installed the plates). YHTMV.

I think I have an extra set of side latches I can sell you... I will dig through the garage if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r
    I know that there are persons who choose, for one reason or another, to not use the side latches (top didn't come with any, non-hardtop rollbar, et al.). I'd personally not feel the top to be very secure without them, but that's just me.
    I put the side strikers in the POSII so I could run Vivid's hardtop at track events and a couple of AX's. No way I wanted to loose that top then have to go home an 'splain to Vivid where here Factory Hardtop had gone.

I once autocrossed with Titus' hardtop on my car without the side latches being on... we both felt secure enough with the Franky bolts and top latches.

Perhaps lucky?

The other thing you may note is on Miatas equipped with a factory hardtop Yoshi and the boys at the factory added the side plates, ya think they would do that if the felt it didn't need them???

Things that make ya go hhhhmmmmm.....

Well... I might as well give my input. I ran with a hardtop but without the plates for about a year with no problem. I added them last year when I was having a problem with one of the front latches, as I figured it could increase the risk of an incident if a front latch failed and there were no side latches. The side latches increased rigidity, decreased noise, and provided a better seal (noticed by the elimination of water entering the cabin during washing). That said, I did feel comfortable letting Bean run the one autocross without them (after I shook the heck out of it on his car and was satisfied that it wasn't going anywhere. I also ran Driversedge without them.

To sum it up, I would recommend them as they are only around $35 and they only take about 30 minutes to install, but I do not feel they are a have to have.

Thanks guys. I intend to use side latches but there will be a few weeks before I have all the parts installed. I won't order anything until I see the top with my own eyes as the owner tells me his car was a 2003, not 2001 and he doesn't know if it has old style or new style latches. If it has the newer latches, I'll transfer the latches from my soft top to get it home on Saturday.

One thing I need NOW, regardless of the latches, is frankenstein bolts. Dealer price is $20 each (special order/none in stock), Mazdaspeed price is $12 each. I wouldn't really mind paying retail if they were in stock, but if I have to wait I might as well get them from Mazdaspeed. Anybody have extra bolts or be willing to let me trade my shorties even just for the day? I think I read that all NA's have them. T/F?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Anybody have extra bolts or be willing to let me trade my shorties even just for the day? I think I read that all NA's have them. T/F?
    Check with MadMerv or maybe you could remove your non-Frankenstein's and swap the seller for his.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Maybe a kind-hearted non-hardtop owning NA owner will swap you.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I once autocrossed with Titus' hardtop on my car without the side latches being on... we both felt secure enough with the Franky bolts and top latches.

Perhaps lucky?
    Yeah... but remember the parts that fell off the car when you did it???

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Darron, I'm in Denton and wouldn't mind you using my Frankenstein bolts. I'm off University and Old North. Yes, I want them back, but you can borrow them until you get some.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    You da man, Sharpie!
    So, is the hardtop going to be on this Sunday? BTW can you PM me those phone numbers again, I managed to lose them all.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Well, one came out with the stud attached, yeah! Not so lucky with the other one. That stud is in there. I stripped out 4 nuts trying. I'll see if ACE hardware has one that will work tomorrow. Maybe I'll buy 2 heftier bolts and try that method again. Frustrating when easy stuff gives you one of these
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast