Thread: Heater hoses

Thumbs down Heater hoses

So, realistically, how long would it take to change out the heater hoses and does the dealership usually have these parts in stock?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    So, realistically, how long would it take to change out the heater hoses and does the dealership usually have these parts in stock?
    Town North had the 1.6 ones in stock when I did mine. Figure time to drain and refill radiator, and then 10-60 minutes cussing at the hoses and cutting your hand trying to get leverage in a tight space. Time depending on how encrusted they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Town North had the 1.6 ones in stock when I did mine. Figure time to drain and refill radiator, and then 10-60 minutes cussing at the hoses and cutting your hand trying to get leverage in a tight space. Time depending on how encrusted they are.
    Thanks for the info. I just read that there is a little more space to work on the 1.8 vs. 1.6.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Thanks for the info. I just read that there is a little more space to work on the 1.8 vs. 1.6.
    trackdog picked up a suitable generic replacement from o'reilly last weekend for one of the hoses... I think I was supposed to remember the part # and post it up, but I forgot.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I think I was supposed to remember the part # and post it up, but I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    trackdog picked up a suitable generic replacement from o'reilly last weekend for one of the hoses... I think I was supposed to remember the part # and post it up, but I forgot.
    Do they have both?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Be nice... remember the second thing to go is your memory...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

OK, I've got both hoses on order from O'reileys, they should be here from the warehouse by 4:00 this afternoon.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Do they have both?
    Apparently if you call in time
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

OK, I've got both hoses on order from O'reileys, they should be here from the warehouse by 4:00 this afternoon.
    Could you give us the part numbers since it looks like Tailchaser never will.

BTW here is what Trussville offers
    Mazda Miata Heater Hose Kit 1.8 Heater Hose Kit 1.8 $22.91

Don't forget the time needed to fix the bent tubing once you get the hoses cut off.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Don't forget the time needed to fix the bent tubing once you get the hoses cut off.
    If you don't know what he's talking about, be VERY careful getting the hoses off the firewall. The pipes are copper and very easy to tweak. I'm sure you knew that though Thomas, just trying to help.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Arg... forgot about that.. I did tweak one of mine and spent about 15 minutes trying to get it as true as possible.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the Mazda clamps and buy some screw-type clamps. I always hated those things They will also seal better than the Mazda clamps if you do happen to bend those tubes.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Thanks for all the tips guys! All the people I've talked to pretty much said the same things, watch out for those copper tubes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

POS, I'll try to get those part numbers for you.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

So things went well. The old hoses came out and the new ones went in without a hitch in about 1/2 hour.

The hoses from O'reilly's were pretty nice. They are Gates hoses and the part numbers for my 94 are:

19008 (from heater)
    18937 (to heater)

Thanks for the tips!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub