Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my timing light...

Default Just bought my timing light...

Just bought a timing light... so how do I advance to 14 degrees BTDC?

Let us know what the original setting was!

And don't forget the jumper wire!

Well how did you do 3Bean?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well... here's how it went.

There is a small metal tab with these indications on it -
    ___

___

___

_____10

___

___

___

___

_____T

Being that each dash indicates 2º of timing, mine was set at 1 dash above the 10. I'm assuming that this meant that my timing was at 12º. I double checked that my idle speed was between 800 and 900 rpm (being that I didn't have an external tach available and our stock analog tach can be inaccurate) and then I proceeded to loosen the CAS adjustment bolt and readjusted it so that my timing would be at about 14º. Being that I run Chevron premium on every fourth tankful (the rotation I'm on right now) I could feasibly bump it to 16º. So far, though, at 14º I have not heard any pinging. I'll wait and see what happens when I refill with the cheap 87 octane.

This, overall, was a fairly easy mod to do... however, it seems that a gorilla tightened the bolt the first time so it was rather difficult to loosen plus the fact that the CAS bolt is wedged between the firewall and the engine.

I did notice, however, that my temp gauge was running a little hotter than before... probably due to the fact that was running my '91 with just that much more spirit on the way to work today. Perhaps with a flush, new thermostat, and radiator cap it'll rectify the issue.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You did remember the jumper on the diag. box, right? That will affect the idle and timing settings.

Hey now, cut that shit out... I liked my Homer pic!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    You did remember the jumper on the diag. box, right? That will affect the idle and timing settings.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hey now, cut that s*** out... I liked my Homo pic!
    I crack me up.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yes.
    Good man! FYI...I did *not* change your avatar! If it wasn't me, then it could only be ** or ***. :P

Yes.
    Good man! FYI...I did *not* change your avatar! If it wasn't me, then it could only be ** or ***. :P
    Oh I know who it was... that son of a...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Bastard!!
    I've heard stories about Miata's just bursting into flames. But since you weren't messing with your mirror, I guess you'll be OK!

Bastard!!
    I've heard stories about Miata's just bursting into flames. But since you weren't messing with your mirror, I guess you'll be OK!
    No, Miata's don't just burst into flames... now 1979 VW Buses like the one I'm working on... now those spontaneously combust!

One did just that about 3 months back right in front of my office in Arlington. I think the guy driving was more worried about his stash than the car though.

More folk’s opinions on the timing bump. They are all over the map!

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...c;f=5;t=031012

There is a small metal tab with these indications on it -
    ___

___

___

_____10

___

___

___

___

_____T

Being that each dash indicates 2º of timing, mine was set at 1 dash above the 10. I'm assuming that this meant that my timing was at 12º. I double checked that my idle speed was between 800 and 900 rpm (being that I didn't have an external tach available and our stock analog tach can be inaccurate) and then I proceeded to loosen the CAS adjustment bolt and readjusted it so that my timing would be at about 14º. Being that I run Chevron premium on every fourth tankful (the rotation I'm on right now) I could feasibly bump it to 16º. So far, though, at 14º I have not heard any pinging. I'll wait and see what happens when I refill with the cheap 87 octane.
    Here is a good picture!

Give it all the timing it will take (without pinging) for the gas you're going to run. I've run up to 16deg on 93 and the car was still making power and not pinging, YMMV. I my street car is at about 15 right now but I run 93 in it to compensate.

Last time I dynoed the celica it kept making more power all the way until I was out of adjustment. If I wasn't going turbo I would modify the dist to get a few more deg. It maxes out around 17 IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast