Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: brakes & rotors

Default Sound

BTW, I can grab the pad tabs and there is some play, not much, but feels about right.
    It is a sound like metal scrapping on something rotating. I almost wonder if it could be somewheer elae but don't know what to target.
    I thought one of the spash shields was scrapping the disc but cannot find that.
    The brakes work great and I can feel them release.
    Just a constant scrapping sound. Sometimes it disappears for a little whle and then comes back without touching anything except just driving straight.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

sounds to me like you bent a splash shield.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Default Shields

Well, I bent then out at the top and also checked the inside of the wheels but maybe so.
    Can they be removed without disassembling the whole thing?
    I'll look tonight and try it, then drive the car.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

i don't know why everyone jocks "trussville mazda." I've never seen anything reasonably priced there...nothing.

If you want to look somewhere else, drain the diff oil and look for metal.....

PM me with your exact location. I work just south of DFW airport. Maybe I can run over and take a look since no one else has offered
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog
    Well, I bent then out at the top and also checked the inside of the wheels but maybe so.
    Can they be removed without disassembling the whole thing?
    I'll look tonight and try it, then drive the car.
    Drop by on the way home and we'll take a good look at it if you want.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Default Tailchaser and MadMerv

I appreciate the offers.
    I'm almost afraid to drive it anywhere but I will if I need to.
    I'm at 5556 Squires Drive in The Colony. Cell 214-797-3922.
    MadMerv, that's a ways for you to go unless you need something else nearby. But if you do want to come out I can at leat buy you dinner.
    Tailchaser, if I don't hear from MadMerv I may drive over tonight or tomorrow if your there and have the time.
    Thanks to both.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

I can't this evening as I have to pick up my wife and grand daughter, so go fer it,, TC. I was thik Carrolton, not Colony....more "old timers"
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

I would offer, but that's a little far for me. If you haven't resolved it by the weekend, I'll see if I have some free time and give you a call.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Default All's well that scrapes well

OK, I'm an idiot and Tailchaser had it right!
    I finally had my wife home tonight and had her drive the car slowly as I walked beside each wheel down the alley.
    The noise that appeared from inside to be from the back was actually from the front! Did I feel foolish as many times as I have had the rears apart.
    Matter of fact it was the right front.
    I jacked it up and spun the tire and sure enough there it was again.
    I removed the wheel and I could see the front of the splash shield just contacting the rotor. Just barely. Matter of fact one slight pull and all was well. My dollar signs finally fell from my mind.
    I took the old rotor and measured against the new one. Apparently the shield must have been hit by a rock in Albert's driveway (which is rock) when I worked on the Vette last week and started the scrapping sound. As we drove to What-A-Burger we both thought the sound was from the rear and the metal to metal of the frozen pad just reinforced my mind into the Twilight Zone.
    Thanks to all and sorry for the trouble this week.
    All is now well with the Red Baron.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Smile Mechanics

Well so it turns out that my mechanic thought that since he was putting on new tires he would see if he could get me to go in for new rotors and pads. Hence the 1st post here.
    This weekend we jacked up the car, took off the front tires and low and behold there is still plenty of pad left on the front and enough on the back to last maybe a year. The rotor in the front was fine and the back one (behind the pads) had the slightest lip.
    So, now I have less trust in my mechanic (not that one can trust them completely anyway), saved some money, and am glad to find great helpful ppl here on the forum.
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    How many miles are on the car? I can't imagine that it need rotors already...........
    you never know when a pad is going to break off a backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg
    you never know when a pad is going to break off a backing plate.
    ?????? I've got over 600K miles in Miatas since 1989 and I've never heard of a pad breaking off.............

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    ?????? I've got over 600K miles in Miatas since 1989 and I've never heard of a pad breaking off.............
    the care manufacturer doesn't matter. I happens more than people percieve.

Well... quit happening then!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is English your second (maybe third) language?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123