Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking about a header....

Default thinking about a header....

Car currently has JR cai, JR hi-flo cat, JR cat back stainless exhaust, 14 degree timing bump. I need the header to complete everything.

Thinking about Racing Beat's 4 into 1 or JR's header.

Anybody with experience, advice, opinions, where to get a deal, etc, please chime in. All opinions or comments welcome.

I don't autocross, so there's no concern about remaining legal for any class.

Car is 92 1.6 L with about 46k miles on it, and it runs great, but I want more ....

Suspension will be next.... Thanks all.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

I've got the OBX header. With no other mods it doesn't really make any difference. With other mods it might net a few hp. The OBX is a very nice piece for the price and is almost a direct copy of either the RB or the JR header (can't remember). The stock header is really not that bad unless you're really trying to go all out (it sounds like you're headed that direction .

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    I've got the OBX header. With no other mods it doesn't really make any difference. With other mods it might net a few hp. The OBX is a very nice piece for the price and is almost a direct copy of either the RB or the JR header (can't remember). The stock header is really not that bad unless you're really trying to go all out (it sounds like you're headed that direction .
    I have been considering this as a CB addition to my "all my mods are from ebay" car. Did you have any problems getting this header to fit properly? I have heard some people are having problems with it rubbing the transmission or trans tunnel or both. I also heard that there is a problem with the EGR lining up properly.

I might add that I did go through the reviews section from the pointy board on JR and Racing Beat's headers, and most people seemed to love the sound and claim that they could feel a big difference in power in the upper revs.... I've found the RB header for $419, and that's the one sold and recommended by Flyin Miata.... I'd like to find that cheaper if possible.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    I might add that I did go through the reviews section from the pointy board on JR and Racing Beat's headers, and most people seemed to love the sound and claim that they could feel a big difference in power in the upper revs.... I've found the RB header for $419, and that's the one sold and recommended by Flyin Miata.... I'd like to find that cheaper if possible.
    I have also been considering a header for my 92. It seems that most everyone sells the RB stuff for the same price (425 for the header). Looks like you found the one vendor that does discount RB products, GoMiata. You will also want to look at shipping costs from different places, as it may make-up for the $6 you will save with GoMiata.

With all that said, You need to be really sure of your future plans if you go with the Racing Beat. It will not work with the Jackson Racing Supercharger, or the BRP 62 Supercharger (which is suposed to come out for the 1.6 one of these years). If you really want to keep your future mod options open, I would go with the Jackson Racing Header. It seems to work with everything.

I did have finiment issues with the obx but they were relatively minor. The EGR tube took some tweaking and cussing to get on but it wasn't horrible. The header did hit the tranny tunnel under had acceleration. I ended up pulling it off and 'massaging' things out a little bit. It didn't take much to get enough clearance for it to not hit.

Chassis Designer

where did you get the obx and how much was it?
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by bio243
    where did you get the obx and how much was it?
    There are always a few on Ebay. Try this search.

Yup, ebay. They're all about the same price when you add in the shipping. I don't remember which place I bought mine from.

Try a Bosal header from RSpeed, if they have them. $222 shipped, they are Jet Hot coated (ceramic coated), seem pretty nice. I can't comment on power gains as I haven't got the car running yet, but it should net some pretty good gains over stock/OBX as the runners are larger. FWIW, I *might* have gotten the last 94-97 Bosal in the states.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

After doing some more research I ended up going the same way that Adam did. Just got off the phone with Rspeed. My Bosal header should be here Friday or Monday!

Just wondering, do you guys with headers run without heat shields? I guess the coated one should be OK. Randy, that header won't do you much good when you TURBO!

Total price for the Bosal from Rspeed was $199.95 plus $23 shipping. I hope it comes in on Friday so I can have it on for ER on Sunday, along with the Tokico Illuminas and Mystery Meat springs that I put on last night.
    :afro:

You wouldn't need a header if you went with a turbo instead. More power that way.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    it should net some pretty good gains over stock/OBX as the runners are larger.
    The OBX is bigger than stock (not sure how much off the top of my head but its a lot). I don't think I would go much bigger on a mostly stock motor.

I think I'm about to order the Bosal from Rspeed. Thanks for that tip.

In cars.com yesterday there was a red 91 for $5995. It had a hardtop, 20,400 miles, a supercharger, and "was pristine", garage kept, never wrecked, perfect paint, etc, extra set of wheels (Borbet), B package.... Basically a dream find. I got cash for a down payment last night, and was going to go secure it, if it was as advertised, but didn't go due to the bad weather. I was going to go at lunch today, but just got word it was sold.

I had the vin number so I could check if it was a short nosed crank car, and was probably going to swap the supercharger (if it was Jackson Racing) to my 92 silver.

Somebody out there picked up a steal (if this car was as advertised)...

My glorious plan failed because of the rain and some other guy beating me to the car .

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Total price for the Bosal from Rspeed was $199.95 plus $23 shipping. I hope it comes in on Friday so I can have it on for ER on Sunday, along with the Tokico Illuminas and Mystery Meat springs that I put on last night.
    :afro:
    did u get the header and install it? If so, how'd the install go, and what are your impressions of the power gain???

Thanks. I am waiting to pull the trigger on this purchase and would very much appreciate your feedback.

I just now ordered the bosal from Rspeed. They have 3 left for the 1.6 90-93 Miatas at 199.95 plus shipping ($22)

It fits perfectly, I just dropped my 1.8 into my 93 and bolted the header up. Hope to fire it up Wed :)
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast