More like the box the S2K came in.

I get it.....
    An Element!

Thread drift end...
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    An Element!

S.

What about reading the fine print. Are there any companies that will cover your autocross activities. I have Nationwide and they exclude such activities. The Allstate policy I read excluded also. I don't think Hartford allowed it either.

I am willing to pay more if a company would be a little more flexible in this area.

Wow! So far the recommendations are all over the place.

I know I will avoid Progressive from past experience in dealing with them.

Not eligible for USAA.

State Farm has a call in. Waiting for quote.

I guess I'll change my initial question to this:

What insurance companies have given you grief or you've heard negative things about?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster

What insurance companies have given you grief or you've heard negative things about?
    Just start again from post #2.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    You can heard bad stories about any insurance company. I think the bottom line is: Progressive and Geico suck, the rest are very agent-dependent. Except Amica.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    I've used Farm Bureau for the past 11 years
    +1 for Farm Bureau. They even backed me up going against TU Electric when I hit a downed power line after a storm... (TU Electric didn't maintain the lines... the next morning the tree crew was out trimming everything back to try & cover their asses... too late. I got all that on video...)

They've be wonderful to deal with. No hassles on claims and multiple policy discounts...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Almost any insurance company if you stay with them longer will be beneficial in the long run. We have Farmers and are so highly discounted now for long term,no wrecks and well they don't know about the speeding tickets that no other insurance company comes close when we have checked on prices. Not many insurance companies are insuring houses in Texas right now so if you are with one of the big guys chances are they will insure your house now or later.

If you find an experienced agent that is not all about the money he can tell you ways to save money such as removing PIP, $1000 deductables and towing. With Farmers you can get discounts for having the monthly bill removed from your account automatically, big savings there. They also, believe it or not reduce your auto insurance if you have a Life Insurance policy with them, it doesn't have to be very big. Seriously, I hate insurance as much as the next guy, but if you can save $75 on your auto in exchange for paying $20 for a Life insurance policy then you will be ahead in the long run, specially while you are young. Something to think about.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog
    but if you can save $75 on your auto in exchange for paying $20 for a Life insurance policy then you will be ahead in the long run, specially while you are young. Something to think about.

Gary
    Exactly! We get the multi-policy with Farm Bureau - life, house and cars...

Don't forget - many insurance companies give a discount if you take a defensive driving course and turn in the insurance coupon from it. That discount is good with mine for 3 years. Saves WAY more than the cost of the class.

RJ

One+ for Doug Strickland in Colleyville. He's had all of our cars, both houses for over 15+ years. Got us through hail storms: payed off three roofs, one 79' RX7(loved that car), car thefts; wifes "baby Blazer" three times (The local Eastside gang Loved that thing. It was almost totaled each time, rebuilt like new each time) There might be cheaper but, he's fast, honest, and reliable. Plus we attend church together!! Wherever you go, trackdog is correct; think long term.(IMHO)
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    You can heard bad stories about any insurance company. I think the bottom line is: Progressive and Geico suck, the rest are very agent-dependent. Except Amica.

S.
    And Farmer's. I don't know anyone who has actually had to make a claim through Farmer's that would have anything positive to say about them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

+1 for State Farm. We have had home owners and auto with the same State Farm agent for 20 years. Fine people.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned
    +1 for State Farm. We have had home owners and auto with the same State Farm agent for 20 years. Fine people.
    -1 for State Farm... Mom had to sue them to get a claim settled... she wasn't at fault and State Farm was the other guys' insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy
    Wherever you go, trackdog is correct; think long term.(IMHO)
    Yep just make sure ya shop around every once in a while, saved me a pretty penny for 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yep just make sure ya shop around every once in a while, saved me a pretty penny for 2006!
    Even Allstate matched some of the lower prices we saw... we were shocked that they did!

I had State Farm for about 10 years in California for Auto and 5 years for home. No problems, but I never had anything other than broken windshields and theft claims. When we moved to Texas, they were not writing home policies for "New" customers, and they considered us new(They gave me some line about different legal entities under an umbrella company). We got the Homeowners through Travelers, and they asked if they could give us a quote on the cars too... Their quote included better coverage than what State Farm offered and was a 25% lower premium. We jumped on it. No claims so far.

I also had AAA home owners insurance for 2 years (No one else was writing policies in CA at the time). We had a $15k water damage claim (washing machine hose split while we were on vacation) and they treated us great. They put our dog and cat up in a kennel for a month and got us a suite at a resort while the house was repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I had State Farm for about 10 years in California for Auto and 5 years for home. No problems, but I never had anything other than broken windshields and theft claims. When we moved to Texas, they were not writing home policies for "New" customers, and they considered us new(They gave me some line about different legal entities under an umbrella company).
    That just blows... Farm Bureau has different entities per state... but allows transfers in... Mom had a life insurance policy on me for years and that let me transfer right in when I lived in Oklahoma then I transferred down into Texas when they weren't writing "new" policies.

Some companies are really stupid with their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    What about reading the fine print. Are there any companies that will cover your autocross activities. I have Nationwide and they exclude such activities. The Allstate policy I read excluded also. I don't think Hartford allowed it either.

I am willing to pay more if a company would be a little more flexible in this area.
    Yeah, Allstate! They be the devil!

A few older friends of mine have been through a lot of car insurance companies with the mulitple cars they each have. From my personal experience and from what my friend's have been through, State Farm and Progressive have been by far the best service. I cannot say they have the best rates, but with my luck and my best friend's luck, I would rather pay a tad more for the wonderful service from either of these 2 companies instead of getting screwed like my girlfriend or some of my other friends.

I have State Farm and a few friends have Progressive. When I water locked my last motor, State Farm sent a guy to my buddies shop as soon as I dropped the car off and sent me a check for the cost of the motor and labor (which financed my 1.8 swap by doing it myself ) the next day, no questions or anything. Nevermind I didn't have the damn snorkel or undertray on the car, which would've prevented water from getting into the intake!

Progressive had an agent at my friend's house within 40 minutes of a vandalizm claim and cut him a check before the Police even left!

There's my and a couple examples FWIW
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

My parents and I have had State Farm for over 20yrs and they have always treated us like their own. Our rates are really low and there is always more opportunity to lower them yourself. In fact, I'm in the middle of taking a $25 online defensive driving that is good for 3 years. They also discount for good grades if youre in college or have a high school student.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast