Thread: Help! turnsignal/tach/gauges fuse keeps blowing.

Default Help! turnsignal/tach/gauges fuse keeps blowing.

the 15A fuse for the turnsignals/tach/gauges keeps blowing.
    I've done the following that might have triggered this some how:

1. Removed, then reinstalled the transmission, driveshaft, and disconnected the PPF in order to swap the flywheel and clutch.

2. Removed the radiator, valve cover, coil packs and other parts necessary to do a timing belt swap.

The car runs fine, it just keeps blowing that fuse.

Any ideas where I might've screwed up?

If miata.net were up, I could point you to which wire you did this to, but here's the bad news...

You pinched a wire between engine/transmission during swap 1

OR

You pinched a wire between the valve cover and block during the timing belt change.

With any luck, it's the latter, since that will be easier to see without tearing everything apart again...

I recently had this problem with my car and it turned out to be the reverse light switch. It only did it once the car was warmed up but everytime you hit reverse no gauges! I bought a new switch for $30, but luckily I didn't need it. Just cleaned the conections and drained the excess trans fluid and all is right with the world.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    I recently had this problem with my car and it turned out to be the reverse light switch. It only did it once the car was warmed up but everytime you hit reverse no gauges! I bought a new switch for $30, but luckily I didn't need it. Just cleaned the conections and drained the excess trans fluid and all is right with the world.
    The problem is, it blows before I even shift into reverse! I guess I'll try to poke around and see if there are any pinched wires. Anyone know in excruciating detail where I might look? My friends were actually doing most of the work for me so I didn't see the whole process from start to finish.

Maybe try disconecting the reverse switch and see if it still happens. You are just going to have to start checkin each component on that fuse one by one. If I remember correctly there is a lot of stuff on that one fuse.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Wonder if you have a pinched wire in the center console since they had to pull it to get the shifter out.

Which year car do you have? I found a web page with some electrical diagrams on it and I saved 'em to the hard drive
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Which year car do you have? I found a web page with some electrical diagrams on it and I saved 'em to the hard drive
    It's a 1995.

I emailed 'em to ya... we'll see if they bounce. Not sure what the max message size hotmail.com has set.

Raymond

Nope... email bounced...

You should get a REAL email address...

Anyway... I searched on the web and found 'em here:

http://www.madracki.com/miata/wiring.html

Good luck tracing it.

Raymond