Thread: just my luck

Default just my luck

i recently moved. when i go to setup my computer, i have everything cept the power cable for the computer. dang, a few days later, i finally go to storage and pick it up. get home and plug it in.

the little lights on the front of the tower turn on. no beep!

the cpu fan is on. the power supply fan is on. lights onthe front are on. but other than that, its an expensive paper wieght. any thoughts?
    i dont think its the power supply because the fans are working. i hope its not the mb.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    i recently moved. when i go to setup my computer, i have everything cept the power cable for the computer. dang, a few days later, i finally go to storage and pick it up. get home and plug it in.

the little lights on the front of the tower turn on. no beep!

the cpu fan is on. the power supply fan is on. lights onthe front are on. but other than that, its an expensive paper wieght. any thoughts?
    i dont think its the power supply because the fans are working. i hope its not the mb.
    1. Unplug the PC
    2. Open the case
    3. remove and re-seat all PCI cards
    4. Remove and re-seat all memory
    5. Firmly seat all cables
    6. Replace case
    7. Reapply power
    8. Enjoy
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

did the previous steps,
    switched power supply on,
    lights come on, buzzing heard, it shuts off
    i manually reset the power supply
    nothing, so i hit the switch in front
    2 lights come on the front.
    no buzz from the power supply
    fans come on
    im used to hearing a familiar buzz and beep but that doesnt happen
    new MB?

does the fact that i have a 3.5" HD chillin in a 5.25 slot have anything to do with it?

Likely a short, remove all cards but video and attempt to boot.

Also remove all memory but stick in slot 0 and test again.

Yea, what do you mean by chillin? I have a few extra adapter rails if you want to properly mount it. Also was the HDD "just chilling" during the move? The drive might have been exposed to a little too muck shock.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux
    Yea, what do you mean by chillin? I have a few extra adapter rails if you want to properly mount it. Also was the HDD "just chilling" during the move? The drive might have been exposed to a little too muck shock.
    yeah it may have flopped around a little bit. then then again, it was in my moms minivan, and that thing doesnt see anything more then .02G's anyways, you can almost rule that out!