Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MazdaSpeed6

Default MazdaSpeed6

Town North has $6500 off a Sport and $7000 off a GT. My red one is now down to $22,055
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Ya know I don't think I have ever seen one on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Ya know I don't think I have ever seen one on the road!
    More likely, you just haven't noticed it... un-like the lancer to evo transformation, they don't really jump out at you. I have seen 4 or 5 Mazda6s that I thought were speeds, but when I darted behind them, I was surprised and disappointed by all but one of them.

I've only seen one....and I've been lookin' for months. They just are not selling. El Dorado has ser #503 still on it's lot
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

I heard of 15-18 MPG for realworld Mazdaspeed 6 gas mileage, even less for the CX-7 at 13-18. Not good in the present gas market.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    I heard of 15-18 MPG for realworld Mazdaspeed 6 gas mileage, even less for the CX-7 at 13-18. Not good in the present gas market.
    $7,000 off will buy a lot of gas. Figure a Camcord V6 is getting 5 mpg better overall. You'd need to drive the Camcord 200,000 miles just to break even, not accounting for the time value of money.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    $7,000 off will buy a lot of gas. Figure a Camcord V6 is getting 5 mpg better overall. You'd need to drive the Camcord 200,000 miles just to break even, not accounting for the time value of money.

S.
    Justify it any way ya want!

Justify it any way ya want!
    And what type of mileage does your Cadillac get?

I bought a 06 Passat because it had similar performance to the Speed6, but was less expensive to purchase and i get 26MPG city and 33MPG hwy. When you are buying twice the gas at 50 bucks a tank, the fun goes away much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    And what type of mileage does your Cadillac get?
    Wasn't all that important when it was purchased in 1966.

But last year I drove it less that 500 miles. What's your point??

What's your point??
    Ummmmmmm F you, Titus!!

I bought a 06 Passat because it had similar performance to the Speed6, but was less expensive to purchase and i get 26MPG city and 33MPG hwy.
    Call me when the electrical glitches begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Ummmmmmm F you, Titus!!
    Now that I understand!

I bought a 06 Passat because it had similar performance to the Speed6, but was less expensive to purchase and i get 26MPG city and 33MPG hwy. When you are buying twice the gas at 50 bucks a tank, the fun goes away much faster.
    On paper or in the real world? I honestly can't imagine a Passat is half as much fun to drive as a Mazdaspeed6.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    On paper or in the real world? I honestly can't imagine a Passat is half as much fun to drive as a Mazdaspeed6.
    I have a Passat... and I have to agree with that. Now, I will say, the Passat is one of the best highway beasts I've ever had, but not much fun when it comes to more aggresive driving.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Real world, already driven about 8000 miles with a few long distrance trips. I've owned VW's in the past and am familiar with the character of the car, but honestly with the three I owned in the past the issues were mostly just replacing brake rotors and replacing a headliner. My past passat was a 92 and went past 300,000 miles before I gave it to a brother who drove it another 50k.

It is absolutely as fun from the test drives I took in the MS6. No there is no AWD, but the AWD in the MS6 felt like a FWD the entire time. VW has the turbo set up very nicely in the 2.0T, and the FWD feels more balanced for 99% of the driving it does. The Miata is the car to jump in to for pure fun, but the passat is great for long distance drives and the torque comes in so low that you are never in the wrong gear.

When I was looking the dealers were still very proud of the MS6 and sticker was as low as they were going. Over all the interior of the MS6 is lacking, the drivetrain is questionable in my opinion and the price was higher than its competition. I got the passat for just less than 20k due to VWOA incentives, and shockingly the VW dealer is much more service friendly than any of the Mazda dealers in the area.

I don't think that even at 22k that the car is an equal to the competition in the mid-size car market, and the DI turbo not being as good as others in production, the engine is not a good enough sales point.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I have a Passat... and I have to agree with that. Now, I will say, the Passat is one of the best highway beasts I've ever had, but not much fun when it comes to more aggresive driving.
    The Passat is no Miata, but the MS6 is no Miata either. The MS6 weighs in at a portly 3589lbs, while the Passat is nicer in trim and only 3305 lbs. The Passat is slightly softer sprung, but feels extremely sure footed when going through moutain roads and switchbacks.

The Passat is no Miata, but the MS6 is no Miata either. The MS6 weighs in at a portly 3589lbs, while the Passat is nicer in trim and only 3305 lbs. The Passat is slightly softer sprung, but feels extremely sure footed when going through moutain roads and switchbacks.
    I've got a '99 GLX and it wasn't my first VW either. For a mid sized sedan it's not bad, however, there are many other sedans that are 1. more reliable, 2. more powerful, 3. better appointed within the same price point.

As for the suspension, the VW was a pig. I initially swapped out the stock suspension with H&R Coilovers... after a few years, I swapped those out for the Eibach Pro-Kit. Much better road feel and greater handling... in fact, I dare say that this is what VW should have equipped these with from the get go. Stock, the suspension just sways to and fro...

Don't get me wrong, I like my car, however, when it comes to replacing it next time, there are many other choices that I'll be looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I've got a '99 GLX and it wasn't my first VW either. For a mid sized sedan it's not bad, however, there are many other sedans that are 1. more reliable, 2. more powerful, 3. better appointed within the same price point.

As for the suspension, the VW was a pig. I initially swapped out the stock suspension with H&R Coilovers... after a few years, I swapped those out for the Eibach Pro-Kit. Much better road feel and greater handling... in fact, I dare say that this is what VW should have equipped these with from the get go. Stock, the suspension just sways to and fro...

Don't get me wrong, I like my car, however, when it comes to replacing it next time, there are many other choices that I'll be looking at...
    The Passat B6 has a redesigned front and rear from the B5, but it still can be stiffer for my taste. That said, the MS6 can be, too. My point was that the MS6 doesn't have the sports appeal because for the tradeoffs you make such as gas mileage, it doesn't offer more sport than other cars in the class.

If another company can make a DI turbo that is that much more fun to rev to the limit, and still have gas in the tank, then you need to rethink your marketing.

I have a plain ol' Mazda6 S and I bet it will beat your VW in all driving aspects. Care to go to MSR and find out? The MS6 is in a whole different league...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast