Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damaged threads

i have a set of fronts that are stripped out just like , they have 5k is on them and felt good when they were taken off, just got fubar'd pretty good. retapping them and using a washer will work just fine. i would imagine it strips because ot has that goofy slot cut in it.

Kyle
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I had a front AGX do that to me on the old 97. Didnt tighten down the nut enough and after a while of sliding up and down through the shock mount the thread had rubbed away. much longer and it would have snapped, I've got some pictures of it at home, but it looks the same. The upper shock mount was destroyed as well, so I replace the front shocks, and all 4 shock mounts with Nopro shock mounts from R*Speed. Rode much better after I replace the shock too. :)
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by brock
    For anyone wondering what thread miata shocks use, it is 10Mx1.5. Unfortunately there was too much metal stripped away to fix my problem.

Does anyone have a 3/8-16 die? This seems to be just a hair smaller than the 10Mx1.5 and the thread spacing is almost the same.
    Looking at the picture do you even have the 9.525mm / .375” of material left on the shaft of that shock to rethread it?
    After running the 10M die down it the nut is just barely able to be rocked. I guess I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight tonight. I hate going there, because I always come out with more *stuff* than I really needed.

SUCCESS!!!!!

The 3/8-16 die worked perfectly. I was a little worried about the threads where the nut rests once torqued down. I was able to move it slightly once it was hand tight.

Home depot to the rescue! I was able to fix, instead of replace, a $90 shock for $ .38. What I did was stack 3 - 3/8 washers under the retaining nut, and then put another nut on top just for added peace of mind.

Good as new! After torquing down the nuts the top mount does not move, and this is without the spring touching the upper spring perch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12