Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upscale auto accessory stores?

Default Upscale auto accessory stores?

When I was a kid, there was several upscale car accessory stores near where I lived. They were the ultimate for a car guy stuck at the mall while the women shopped. They sold things like steering wheels not made by Grant, shift knobs that weighed more than a gram, personalized license plate frames, clothing with logos from companies like Ferrari and Porsche, racing (or racing inspired) seats, the high end car models, etc. I remember going in and frequently sitting in the different Recaro and Momo demo seats.

Do these type of shops exist anymore, or has the Internet killed all but Autozone?

We had in Grand Prairie!

There was another place in Hurst forget the name.......

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    You have to remember that was Cali... I don't think that market exists here.
    I was wondering if that was the case...

I really think something like this would work in North Dallas... perhaps at the Galleria or at Stonebriar.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    We had in Grand Prairie!

There was another place in Hurst forget the name.......
    Ahhhhh! I remember it well

another in Hurst...perhaps Midnight Auto Supply?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Bobby Archer thinks he is one..................

Talking

Now like POS mentioned, there are several stand alone places... but none you could just meander in to while the is out shopping... at least none I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I really think something like this would work in North Dallas... perhaps at the Galleria or at Stonebriar.
    What are you going to stock?? You'd never have the correct stuff in house, plus you'd need the capability of installing it since most folks do have the skillz required.

J.C Whitney Quality Junk
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Now like POS mentioned, there are several stand alone places... but none you could just meander in to while the is out shopping... at least none I've ever seen.
    At this point, it would be nice to at least have a list of a few places locally where you could actually try a racing seat, or pick up a momo wheel on a whim rather than waiting for them to order it for you.

That said, the places I went to back in CA were located with the purpose of capturing the husband trapped on a shopping trip. One was at an indoor mall and the other 2 were in upscale strip malls. I could see one fitting nicely sandwiched between a Linens and Things and a Bombay Company.

I could see one fitting nicely sandwiched between a Linens and Things and a Bombay Company.
    Your first customer would be mr brg, looking for shocks and springs!

But then you would need to have a Miata, too, so he could see how far the springs compress.........

And I'd send him to a performance shop. I'm looking for more generalized stuff, where at most you'd need to stock a variety of steering wheel hub adapters.

And I'd send him to a performance shop. I'm looking for more generalized
    Like what??

You really want to pull airbags out of cars, the liability would be immense.

Like what??

You really want to pull airbags out of cars, the liability would be immense.
    F you POS!

I don't want to own the shop, I just want to shop there!

Click Me!! I drove past one of these in California when I was there. Yes I know its not local.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

...I just want to shop there!
    Well then, how about this... you call over to Timmy the Tortoise, have him drive, and in the several months that it takes you to get to California perhaps they will have built a new strip mall with the stores you're looking for!

Isn't there some sort of accessory place on 183 in Irving, I've driven past it a couple hundred times but have never stopped.

Isn't there some sort of accessory place on 183 in Irving, I've driven past it a couple hundred times but have never stopped.
    It's not the worth the time unless you want 22" spinners for your 'Yota.

At this point, it would be nice to at least have a list of a few places locally where you could actually try a racing seat, or pick up a momo wheel on a whim rather than waiting for them to order it for you.
    I wouldn't want this crowd shopping there... Try out all the seats then go buy it off the intardw3b to save $5.

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast