Thread: Header?

Default Header?

I am starting my conversion in November, thought i would get some feedback from all you power mongers .
    What header would be the best to get (Racing Beat?)
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

We tested back to back on a dyno the stock manifold, JR, Racing Beat and TDR headers on a 1.8L.

TDR's header made the most horsepower and torque. After that the racing beat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    We tested back to back on a dyno the stock manifold, JR, Racing Beat and TDR headers on a 1.8L.

TDR's header made the most horsepower and torque. After that the racing beat.
    Mike, we've been hearing about the TDR header for a year now... any word when Gary will have them for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Mike, we've been hearing about the TDR header for a year now... any word when Gary will have them for sale?
    I would like to know also.
    I have a good deal of time to change from SM to ITA during December, but I have found getting the parts early keeps you from all night garage sessions before a race.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    I would like to know also.
    I have a good deal of time to change from SM to ITA during December, but I have found getting the parts early keeps you from all night garage sessions before a race.
    Well maybe he'll chime in. He got the first prototype in from the manufacturer and it looks real good. Except they made it the wrong guage of pipe. It's a time consuming pocess dea;ing with over seas suppliers.

Mac give Gary a call and he might be able work something out with you on the prototype pipe. The thin wall might work better for a track pipe than for the street (ie lighter and noiser).

One thing we know is that it maked more HP and Torque than anything else we tested (all dyno runs were on a 1.8L naturally aspirated Miata)

The "Bob Boig" race header is the only way to go. Virtually all of the EP and FP Miatas are using it. Stan Whitney also had one on his AWESOME autocross car.

Hey Mac,

I talked to Shuhart and he has a Boig header at his shop for sale.

Although they make good HP they need some custom fabrication after the collection pipe. I don't think the one he bought was ever installed since it's something that is a PITA to have on a street car, but it is proven to be a good performer on a full out race car.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Hey Mac,

I talked to Shuhart and he has a Boig header at his shop for sale.

Although they make good HP they need some custom fabrication after the collection pipe. I don't think the one he bought was ever installed since it's something that is a PITA to have on a street car, but it is proven to be a good performer on a full out race car.

Mike
    Thanks, I will call him. I am trying to put all this stuff (parts) together to start converting to total ITA after the ARRC race at RAtlanta in November.
    Any ideas ( ITA Legal) any of you guys might have on squeezing some extra horses and torque out of the engine would be appreciated. I can't put up the $6k - $10k for a "name" built Pro motor. I am going to have to do it locally from a guy that has some experience, but not 1.8 "tricks" experience.

Mac
    Mac