Thread: *BOUGHT* WTB Miata with ABS

Default *BOUGHT* WTB Miata with ABS

MSM or not - I'm looking for a low miles, well maintained Miata with factory ABS. I know it was standard on the MSM, but has been optional for awhile (for NBs?). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    MSM or not - I'm looking for a low miles, well maintained Miata with factory ABS. I know it was standard on the MSM, but has been optional for awhile (for NBs?). Thanks!
    It's been optional since the ealry NA cars iirc, but it has never been a widely available option.

Other than an MSM, the only NA/NB with standard ABS will be any Miata with an auto tranny... go figure.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    It's been optional since the ealry NA cars iirc, but it has never been a widely available option.

Other than an MSM, the only NA/NB with standard ABS will be any Miata with an auto tranny... go figure.
    Thanks for that. I've asked several Mazda dealers and techs and nobody really knew. I can say that I've seen a handful of non-MSMs advertised on the internet as having ABS, and none of them did. (I learned after a couple wasted trips to get them to confirm for me first.)

Really easy to spot one with ABS when you are looking! Notice the ABS block on the passenger side firewall. These are shot's of my wife's 2002 Miata with a 6-Speed.

Look on the VIN plate. My mom's 1991 MA with the B package had it and the Vin tag said ABS in etched lettering.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I am still looking for a NA or NB model with tilt steering wheel. ::

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Look on the VIN plate. My mom's 1991 MA with the B package had it and the Vin tag said ABS in etched lettering.
    That must just be an NA thing, our 2002's Vin tag makes no mention of ABS.

I am pretty sure it did, but she totaled it in 2001 after 10 good years of driving and I have slept a time or two since then...

Her car had 186,000 when a guy in a high profile van ran her off the road.

The Google earth still shows it being parked in the drive way with the, now 8 year old, pool in the back yard.

Thanks for the pictures! I know what to look for, but I've made a couple 30+ mile drives only to find out that the owner believed he had ABS. The dealerships I've caught on this were very sheepish and quickly changed their internet ads. I don't believe anybody has been deliberately misleading, but most likely either ignorant or careless.

Anyway, back to the main topic - anybody know of a good Miata for me? I just sold mine today (the ugliest Miata in DFW, but I miss her already).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    anybody know of a good Miata for me?
    Here's a couple in our very own classifieds.

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=6617

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=6251

FWIW, the '96 M-edition has ABS standard, as does the '95. Other than that, it's kind of a crap shoot. Your best bet will likely be the special editions - a buddy just bought a '91 BRG (from this board) that has it. When I was looking, I saw quite a few 10AEs that had it.

And you're right - 90% of the ads that claim to have ABS are wrong.

Good luck with the search.
    '96 M-edition

If you decide to buy an MSM, shop it hard. There are lots of pristine examples out there, and remember that most owners didn't pay anything close to sticker for it.

The MSM is a wonderful car. If you can afford one, I can see no reason not to buy one.

S.