Thread: Car Audio Shop

Default Car Audio Shop

Anyone know anything about either JR's Custom Auto or Earmark Car Audio? Both are in the DFW area and both come recommended by different sources, but I'm trying to get more information. This would be a for a fairly complicated custom audio installation.

Thanks in advance,
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Anyone know anything about either JR's Custom Auto or Earmark Car Audio? Both are in the DFW area and both come recommended by different sources, but I'm trying to get more information. This would be a for a fairly complicated custom audio installation.

Thanks in advance,
    S.
    What are you wanting to do?

I have no hesitation recommending Earmark for just about anything you want. Their guys know when to send you elsewhere if what you want is more than they can handle.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I've heard good things about Earmark, but haven't personally seen their work.

Did you check AutoSound in Arlington (off Cooper St.)? They can be pricey, but I like the work I've seen (and had done) from them. I know that they've done some pretty elaborate installs.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What are you wanting to do?
    The current thinking is:

* this JL Audio Clean Sweep adapter to retain the stock head unit and steering wheel controls

* some large amplifier that can power the whole system

* new components up front (I've had both Bostons and MB Quarts and strongly prefer the Quarts)

* coaxials in the rear deck

* a 10" enclosed sub in the trunk, possibly a Kicker Solobaric since I've also had good luck with those in the past

* strategically placed Dynamat.

The real wild card is the Clean Sweep. I would STRONGLY prefer to retain the stock H/U for a completely stealth install, and I want a shop that's going to take the time to figure out how to properly tune the new technology.

S.

The current thinking is:

* this JL Audio Clean Sweep adapter to retain the stock head unit and steering wheel controls

* some large amplifier that can power the whole system

* new components up front (I've had both Bostons and MB Quarts and strongly prefer the Quarts)

* coaxials in the rear deck

* a 10" enclosed sub in the trunk, possibly a Kicker Solobaric since I've also had good luck with those in the past

* strategically placed Dynamat.

The real wild card is the Clean Sweep. I would STRONGLY prefer to retain the stock H/U for a completely stealth install, and I want a shop that's going to take the time to figure out how to properly tune the new technology.

S.
    Sounds like around a $2500 budget? Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Sounds like around a $2500 budget? Nice!
    That's pretty much exactly what I've got budgeted. I had money saved for Miata mods that I never used, so....

S.

That's pretty much exactly what I've got budgeted. I had money saved for Miata mods that I never used, so....

S.
    It sounds like a good plan, and similar to what I would do if you. The CleanSweep to amp to the MBQ components is just what i would do. If it was me, I would skip the coaxials in the rear and use a couple JL 8W3s for the sub. Hmmm... starting to sound like a mini version of the system I had in my Integra!

I know the rears are just fill. Believe me, I don't plan on going with anything special back there. Two 8s instead of one 10? Hmmm... I've had good luck with the 10" Solobaric in the past, and I've never heard an 8" that hits satisfyingly low.

Of course, I've also been out of the car audio scene for 7 years or so, so things may be different now than the last time I was shopping.

On that note, who's making the really good amps these days? I had a Rockford Fosgate before, but that was when they were still American owned and manufactured.

S.

I know the rears are just fill. Believe me, I don't plan on going with anything special back there. Two 8s instead of one 10? Hmmm... I've had good luck with the 10" Solobaric in the past, and I've never heard an 8" that hits satisfyingly low.

Of course, I've also been out of the car audio scene for 7 years or so, so things may be different now than the last time I was shopping.

S.
    I have been out of the car scene longer than that, but.....
    I had 4 JL 8W3s in a three chamber, sixth order, isobaric dual-reflex bandpass in my Integra. It pounded hard and won first place in its class in the only two car stereo competitions I entered. Shortly after, the JLs started making strange noises. It turned out that I had received one of the first sets of 8W3s on the market (this was 1991) and they were defective. Rather than wait months for them to correct the issue, I took a pair of 10s and some cash. The 10s never hit as hard or as low as the 4 8s in the bandpass.
    Last edited by Titus; 09-21-2006 at 02:53 PM.

I second the vote for Earmark. Also, stay clear of CarToys.

I just removed the Alpine head and multi-disc, JL amp and JL box, and JL amp from my VW only to find quite the mess that CarToys left. Now the pieces are awaiting a new ride...

Check out Elemental Design's amps. They are somewhat under-rated, and "cheap" (but not in quality, just price). They are working on a 5x1 amp (4x100 or so, and a 1x450-600 for a sub).

eD
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Thumbs up

Earmark has dealt with several of my cars, and I have nothing but kudos for their shops and employees. I've always wondered about their apparently ever-changing staff, though. Only one guy at the Addison location has been there for more than maybe 2-3 years...and he's been there literally forever.
    Can't say much about the Plano location, as I haven't been there since the first week it was open. I expect the quality employees, service and install are consistent with the other location.
    They can easily handle anything you can likely dish out as far as install goes. Price is, of course, going to reflect the level of work necessary. They make worthwhile suggestions for pieces to use that will work together nicely, as well as install options. Their techs are also quite good at tuning a system, though the most I've ever put them through was a setup with headunit/1/2-din eq, two amps, single set of components and single sub.

I haven't spent much time with JR's, though my impression is that they're more into the large truck/SUV segment. Again, as an impression, the shop also covers more than just audio (wheels, tires, blah blah blah), which almost always makes me stray in favour of a less diverse shop.

No idea on current amps, though, as Adam mentioned, eD does offer some amps with very usable and multifunctional features, whether you're sticking with a typical consumer setup or going for an SQ or SPL install, active front stage, etc. Their components, mids and subs are also said to be more than decent for the money.
    I just held onto my old Punch and Autotek amps from the early 90s and hope to have a use for them in the semi-near future.
    Should you miss your old Fosgate hardware, you can always check fleabay for offerings with which you're familiar. I've had a little luck picking up "older" audio bits from there in decent, working shape.

Read some good reviews on the Clean Sweep in the past week or so...sounds like a cool item. I'd love to hear one in action!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates