Thread: Red Light Cameras Fail to Bring Home Da Bacon

Default Red Light Cameras Fail to Bring Home Da Bacon

Linkie.

Ha ha ha.

Serves them right. I'm not a fan of red light running. It's one traffic offense that I think should be enforced with a reasonably heavy hand; however, I don't think red light cameras are the way to solve the problem. If anything, they probably just replace red light running with rear-end accidents as people slam on their brakes to avoid running the light.

But the most ridiculous idea of all is that cities should install these cameras as a form of revenue.

Serves them right that it isn't working. I hope they fail to make one red cent off this misguided enterprise.

S.

I agree about the stop light running, I think the Judges should throw the book at people who don't yield... and run stop lights and end up in an accident.
    99 Miata Black

Denton has 3 intersections with them and more on the way. I think it's BS, how does it know if you stopped before going right on red?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Nice!

I’m not a big fan of red light running myself, but anyone who thinks that your gov’t is putting up red light cameras in order to make these intersections safer really doesn’t have a clue. I hope the idiots who based the town’s operating budget on the revenue they thought these nuisance cameras would generate ought to be sacked.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

One could argue that it *is* working, if the revenue projection did not account for the decline in violations that was supposedly "The Point".

C&D's Bedard cited numbers awhile back that said IIRC some systems were basically installed on speculation: suppliers provided them at no cost to municipalities in exchange for a cut of the take. Fines were processed electronically, so no overhead for the city. If true, the big loser would be the (apparently greedy) supplier -- and that, to me, is justice.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Nice!

I’m not a big fan of red light running myself, but anyone who thinks that your gov’t is putting up red light cameras in order to make these intersections safer really doesn’t have a clue. I hope the idiots who based the town’s operating budget on the revenue they thought these nuisance cameras would generate ought to be sacked.

Yeah what he said!
    99 Miata Black

What you need to do is change the light sequence. It goes, Red-Green-Amber-Red. In the UK, it's Red-Amber-Green-Flashing Amber-Red. The extra step does a lot to reduce accidents.

We've got signal cameras (as well as speed cameras) too - and they're seen as revenue collectors too, despite the government's efforts to convince us they're for safety.
    "Get to Heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead"

www.myspace.com/theelectrics

I also hope the cities don't make a dime on this.

I would literally have to use two hand to show how many times I've had launch through an intersection after stopping because the H2 or Navigator behind me was about to slide into me.

A cop can see why I ran the light. The camera can't and doesn't care.

Plus I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to using traffic violations as revenue. When cars at my office get broken into the Dallas PD won't even come out to investigate even when we have them on video. (And the thieves know this) They don't have time to investigate something as petty as that, but they have plenty of time to sit and radar traffic all day.

Don't get me wrong I don't run red lights very often. And I'll be the one honking at the people who do, but cameras and automatic tickets are not the answer.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!