Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SCCA #8 - 10/15/2006 - TMS Road Course

I can't believe I coned away a top pax. Bastards.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    I can't believe I coned away a top pax. Bastards.

62.950 * .794 = 49.982, which still would have put you behind Rick Clark.

Apparently you can drive better than you can do math!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

62.950 * .794 = 49.982, which still would have put you behind Rick Clark.

Apparently you can drive better than you can do math!
    Crap, I was thinking 2 seconds raw translated to 2 seconds pax putting me 0.004 ahead of rick. lol, that's what I get for bragging.

Speaking of pax, I can't believe how soft that HS pax is.
    Borrowed 1M

Jeremy Foley

I can't believe how soft that GS pax is.

Crap, I was thinking 2 seconds raw translated to 2 seconds pax putting me 0.004 ahead of rick. lol, that's what I get for bragging.

Here's the real kicker (at least, if you aren't in H or G Stock) - when you do PAX the way we do it, cones don't count the same for everyone. That's because they take the PAX multiplier off of your adjusted (with cones) time. So, when G Stock hits a cone, it costs them 2.000 * .794 = 1.588 seconds, but if B Stock hits a cone, it costs us 2.000 * .822 = 1.644 seconds. Guys like Tommy and Stuart in B Mod really get screwed this way, since a cone for them is 2.000 * .944 = 1.888 seconds, or 3/10ths of a second larger penalty than what Jeremy gets!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Simple solution.

DON'T HIT THE CONES!!!

On a different note. The new Hoosier rain tires we just got really work in the rain. The really old set of rains we had didn't.

11th in PAX, and not one Miata beat me on raw time! As they usually do when it rains and we stay on the slicks.

But a White MR2 did.

SpinOutF500

Quote Originally Posted by SpinOutF500 View Post

But a White MR2 did.

SpinOutF500
    I didn't beat your raw time, just the pax time. I didn't have the advantage of fancy rain tires, though. Just the simple grooves that run around the V710's....

Notice I'm taking full advantage of this opportunity to harass spinoutF500 ... I get the chance so infrequently that I can't be quiet...

On a more serious note - what's the general consensus about continuing to do events on the road course? We're working on next year's schedule, and there's been a lot of discussion about it because of the expense.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Solo RX-7 View Post
    On a more serious note - what's the general consensus about continuing to do events on the road course? We're working on next year's schedule, and there's been a lot of discussion about it because of the expense.
    I like the road course event! Can you put it on the schedule for next year on a day where it will not rain??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I like the road course event! Can you put it on the schedule for next year on a day where it will not rain??
    I'll second that.

I enjoy the road course event, and it adds something unique to the Texas Region schedule.

BTW, V710s might have been the hot ticket when you ran, but they definitely weren't in 3rd heat!
    Iain

I also love the road course events....if you can make them on odd weekends like this I'll try to come to all of them if they're not on conflicting weekends (1st sundays aren't good) :)

I have had a blast at every road course event I've been to. :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I'm going to 2nd what david said. I believe this is the 3rd road course event I've done. And it's always a blast. I wish we could run there more, but I know the cost is somewhat prohibitive of that.

Matt, when is the BoD meeting regarding next years schedule?

Also, are we doing pennington or the other place for the last event? Please tell me it's not pennington!
    Borrowed 1M

Jeremy Foley

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

All those cones are confusing and get in the way (not a clean run all day) I'll pay for Lieberman's gas, if he'll come approve the road course without cones

1. Seriously, I like the controlled environment of the infield. It makes it easier to keep non-attendees from drifting through the course with strollers, football and band equipment, etc.
    2. Having total noobs show up is a little scary, but it was better this time than in the past
    3. Don't like the security guys' time limitations on us. I understand their view; just wish they were more flexible.
    4. I don't like the distractions of the different environment, but it is a good exercise in focusing on what matters and ignoring the rest. (flagger barriers, dirt, rocks, grass, pavement edges, etc.)
    5. Can't remember the pricing but I wonder if there are other sites in the same price range.

Bottom line: either way is OK by me. Everybody seems to like the site, but what it costs always seems to be an issue. Did we break even? Do we ever break even at TMS?

From a safety standpoint at all our venues, we need to work on controlling non-participants, minors, dogs, and mod drivers .

I'll really be interested to see what the great Oz comes up with at the new site.

Keep up the good work Solo RX-7
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I didn't beat your raw time, just the pax time. I didn't have the advantage of fancy rain tires, though. Just the simple grooves that run around the V710's....

Notice I'm taking full advantage of this opportunity to harass spinoutF500 ... I get the chance so infrequently that I can't be quiet...
    Oh yea... That's right! You didn't beat me on raw time.

I get confused easily. O'well.

Take advantage of it. It doesn't happen often.

I like the Road course events also and I too want the next one on a weekend it doesn't rain.

SpinOutF500

This course had a few different elements than previous courses, and I thought it flowed better than years past, even in the rain. I couldn't find the example we had used previously, so we kinda filled in the blanks.

I have mixed emotions about continuing using the road course, the biggest being that the first event drew over 200 entries, and we have had a tough time drawing anywhere near the number it takes to break even considering the cost. I think it takes at least 165 or so to break even as I recall. If not for that, I would be the first to say, hell yes, let's continue the tradition! This is the first time we ran it in the rain, and from a safety point of view, I was a bit skeptical. However, after driving it myself in third heat, those fears went away. The traction in the wet is much better than the bus lot and other venues I have run. There were NO puddles like I have seen during road races, however the course was designed to deliberately bypass those areas, so not an issue anyway. I think we should keep it another year at least and play it up all year in an attempt to get more entries... It is unique!
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Matt, when is the BoD meeting regarding next years schedule?

Also, are we doing pennington or the other place for the last event? Please tell me it's not pennington!
    We've already met on the schedule once, but it's still too early to nail anything down. I did get a 'preliminary' schedule of the Pro and Houston Tour today, but we're not going to set up our dates around them just yet - last year the dates weren't stable from SCCA HQ until well into the new year.

SpinoutF500 and I (along with Gerry T) are in cahoots on the scheduling so we're not stepping on each other. Big Brother HQ kind of does their own thing.

Last event is at LaGrave Field. Can't wait to go to a new spot!
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

When and where the hell is that? :) SOunds new and exciting :)

david

Quote Originally Posted by Solo RX-7 View Post
    We've already met on the schedule once, but it's still too early to nail anything down. I did get a 'preliminary' schedule of the Pro and Houston Tour today, but we're not going to set up our dates around them just yet - last year the dates weren't stable from SCCA HQ until well into the new year.

SpinoutF500 and I (along with Gerry T) are in cahoots on the scheduling so we're not stepping on each other. Big Brother HQ kind of does their own thing.

Last event is at LaGrave Field. Can't wait to go to a new spot!
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Keep the road course! Please!

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    When and where the hell is that? :) SOunds new and exciting :)

david
    Just north of downtown Ft. Worth, home of the Fort Worth Cats!

MAP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123