Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap 10/22

Default Engine Swap 10/22

Hey guys,

Still haven't gotten the engines swapped out on the spec project car and could use some help with it. If I don't get it swapped out soon, I'll end up spending the roll cage $$$ on something else.

I'll be working on it on the 21st to disconnect everything and drain the fluids and would like to find some help on the 22nd to swap out the engine/trans as a single unit.

I can fire up the grill or order pizzas, your favorite beer/soda, and fire up some arcade games too. (Pole Position II, Sega Turbo Outrun, Pit Fighter, and Combatribes)

Any takers/helpers? I have tools, air compressor, engine hoist, 4 jack stands, floor jack, and a driveway that will hold 4 cars if you want to make it a tech day. As a plus, AutoZone is less than a mile away.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Sorry... I'll be out of town.

i would be game for this but i only work on weekends now...
    best of luck with it though.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

You should be at Hallett getting much needed seat time! That's where I'll be! Good luck with the swap though. I wish I could help. I'd like to see a motor swap on a Miata.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Can't get there without getting the car running better! Once I get the motor swapped and the roll cage in, I'll be participating in AutoX, a couple of DEs, and other events to get more seat time.

I also have a couple of resellers that have memberships to MSR so I can go on member days.

Raymond

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Sorry... I'll be out of town.
    +1

+1 (Hallett)
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

I may be able to swing by after refing hockey.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

That'd be much appreciated if you could!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    That'd be much appreciated if you could!
    You live out in Lewisville right? I'll be done refing hockey at Grapevine Mills around noon. I could lend a hand for a few hours before I'll have to get back to the rink.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    You live out in Lewisville right? I'll be done refing hockey at Grapevine Mills around noon. I could lend a hand for a few hours before I'll have to get back to the rink.
    Yup!

Right up the road from Grapevine Mills. It's cake to find the place from there.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

My schedule had freed up. I can come help. PM me with the where and when. See you there.

Doug
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I can help that day. Do you have high speed internet and/or wifi at your house? I am on call that day and need to be able to get into work if necessary.

Also PM me directions. I live not to far away on Hebron in Carrollton.
    Last edited by HudsonHawk; 10-19-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks guys,

Info has been PMed!

I'll be starting around 10am but get there whenever you can. My plan is to disconnect wires & lines from the engine and drain the fluids on Saturday to make things go faster on Sunday.

Raymond

It's IN!

Whew... We had a few challenges on the way but worked through them. Got the transmission filled with oil and almost everything back together as the sun set. Went to turn the key and wirrrrr...rr..r...

Need to charge the battery. DOH!

That's what I get for leaving it sitting for so long without driving it. Just didn't feel like driving it with the oil pressure issues.

Still need to tighten down the front sway bar and put the outer shift boot back on.

Hopefully I can get the charger on it Thursday and get her cranked up & running.

Thanks to Hudson Hawk and Icepenguin66 for the help today! I'll be happy to return the wrenching favor.

Raymond

Your welcome. I actually learned a lot for my future work on the wifes car.

No problem, hope ya get it fired up soon!

Default It's Alive!

And with great looking oil pressure readings!

Got the battery charged and crank crank crank cranks... nothing...

Troubleshooting 101: need gas, spark, air... coils and wires are correct. It's not trying to turn over so check the AFM, CAS, and coil pack wiring. All good. Check fuel... hmmm... strange... looks funny...

Yup.

Fuel lines reversed.

It's funny how much pressure builds up in the fuel lines and how far that little squirt of gas will travel when you pull off the pressurized side. 7 feet from the nose of the car is the garage door. It got hit. Not much gas at all coming out but what came out sure was under some good pressure.

She cranked right up! Now to get the clutch bled and the exhaust leaks fixed (crack in the manifold and one stripped hole in front of the cat) to get her inspected and re-plated... then off to the cage installer!

Thanks again for the help guys!

Raymond

Hmmm... Now that I think about it... I should've have been typing all this from my work laptop with gas on my hands. Those damn detectors at the airport will go nuts from this.

Wow... What a PITA.

Have you ever had a clutch slave that couldn't be bled? The slave was clogged up with crap and no fluid would come out the bleeder.

I swapped the slave from the old engine/transmission and ran a bunch of new fluid through the system using the vacuum pump bleeder. Even got the kiddo involved in the repair. He pumped the clutch pedal to get the remaining air out of the system.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post

Yup.

Fuel lines reversed.
    Ooops! Sorry about that. I did ask you how they were supposed to be connected. Wonder how I go that confused.

Glad to hear it is running and that our work was not wasted. And, don't forget to tighten the sway bar.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast