Thread: PCA event #5 @ MW 8/29....

Default PCA event #5 @ MW 8/29....

As most of you will be attending the ER event on the same day, I wanted to give an alternative venue for those wanting more seat time.

LINKY

I shall be attending this event feeling the need to chase seat time rather than points.

The PCA guys do put on a nice AX! No doubt about it!

been awhile since I've run PCA... alas.. still no way to get my tires out to MW yet..

At least until I can borrow a trailer :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I think I'm going to go to the PCA event. I got some free tires to burn up. I don't have a way to haul them, so I'm just gonna drive them. Nothing quite like hoosiers on the highway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    I think I'm going to go to the PCA event. I got some free tires to burn up. I don't have a way to haul them, so I'm just gonna drive them. Nothing quite like hoosiers on the highway!!!
    Excellent. Just look for the miata shante-town...no wait, thats the ER event. Just look for the only other miata out there, that's me. Actually, there may be one or two others.
    Remember, tops up unless you have a roll-bar...

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Remember, tops up unless you have a roll-bar...
    I forgot about that...thats gay. Just more shit to get tangled up in if the car goes over....

Now now kids remember what Sammm told us a while back!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I thought we agreed that 1/8" cloth top contains magical safety properties!

Hi, Jack.

Back on subject please.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hi, Jack.

Back on subject please.
    <moderator>

Done. BS moved here -

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/viewtopic.php?t=942

</moderator>

I had fun! I got to meet JRW and Joe.MIATA. Both really friendly guys and really good drivers!

I'm finally starting to get back in the R tire groove. Despite the fact that I wasn't that fast I'm feeling a lot better about nationals. Even though I'm a tire warmer this year I'd like to be in the top half of the class.

I think the tires did uncover some problems with my car tho. Theres a nasty pop somewhere in the chassis during transitions. It sounds to me like it coming from the center of the car to me, but the obvious culprit would be swaybars. I'll do some checking on that one. I'll be able to sign up for the mazdaspeed program now, so I'll probably start changing out motor mounts and bushings for the competition stuff. The second problem is the brakes. I'm really starting to think that the caliper pistons are hanging up and dragging. Is it worth rebuilding them or should I just get reman calipers? Stainless lines are also on the way. Lastly the lifter tick is getting worse. Has anyone had any luck making this better? I've got another head for it that I just need to build but that probably won't happen for a while due to other projects.

Yesterday was a banner day for the Mav Region PCA. They provided water at all the corner stations and sun screen (they were accepting donations). If you were a lucky person, you were handed a free Porsche Parade Volunteer t-shirt from excess stock AND convertibles without roll-bars were allowed to run top-down. Jealous yet Kestrel? We know your feelings about....sunscreen :)
    With TTOD around 79 seconds, JRW closed in around 82.5, Joe.Miata around 83.4 and EvilSpeed around 85.2. (Feel free to edit these numbers if incorrect.)
    Once again a fun, fast course and thanks to the PCA for a fun event.

The top-down thing sounds like it is not definite yet. It seems that during the Parade, the National folks were driving top-down without roll-bars and that may be the current national rule. BUT, the local folks here will still have to evaluate their position on that.

Thanks for the update, Joe... I know that I'm leaning heavily toward running with PCA (just because it's more fun) next year instead of ER if they do a 100% conflicting schedule again...

Sounds like it was fun. And just when we were starting to think that JRW had fallen off the face of the earth!

EvilSpeeder, one other thing that might be causing that popping noise is worn alignment cam bolts. See, they tend to stretch over time, and once the stretch they'll slip, usually under load, and usually causing a loud popping noise in the process.

If you front swaybar endlinks aren't loose and there are no obvious interference marks on the bar (although if you've got a stock front bar it should be restrained from sliding side-to-side and hitting anything), I'd order a new set of cam bolts form Mazdaspeed and replace them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

"... AND convertibles without roll-bars were allowed to run top-down. Jealous yet Kestrel?"

"With TTOD around 79 seconds, JRW closed in around 82.5, Joe.Miata around 83.4 and EvilSpeed around 85.2."
    You guys were only 3.5 sesconds behind the fastest Porsche out there? In your "girlie cars"? Outstanding!!!

I hadn't thought about the cam bolts, but thats a good point. I aligned it just before this event. I torqued the hell out of them, but maybe it is time for new ones. I marked them, so we'll see if they moved.