Thread: How to deal with rust on car?

Default How to deal with rust on car?

My beater has some rust in a small spot where it was dented before I purchased it. I don't want to take it to a body shop, as it's a beater, but I don't want the rust to spread or cause more damage. What's the best way to deal with this?
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

I used an abrasive rotary brush (and a wire brush on the dremel for the finer touches) on the truck we recently got. I cleaned everything thoroughly with alcohol, masked it, sprayed it with primer, sanded, and re-primed. Because the area is hidden by a tool box, I probably won't ever get around to finish paint, but you can get color match in a rattle can from most manufacturers along with an appropriate clear coat.

For small areas (lady bug size or smaller), be super neat with the wire brush on your dremel, remove ALL traces of rust and dribble touch up paint in with the fine point of a toothpick. If there's any loose paint around the rust, you'll want to go back to the steps in the first paragraph. If you want moral support, I'm pretty good at drinking beer and not stepping on your head while I watch.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I was thinking about naval jelly on a Qtip but I'm not sure of the size of the damage.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

It's in the middle of the passenger door. I'd be worried about paint matching, or can you get it that close? I'm just seeing images of honda's with primer bumpers...
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I was thinking about naval jelly on a Qtip but I'm not sure of the size of the damage.
    That's a bad plan, it will make a small problem bigger. The Navel Jelly can also screw up the paint.

Hey Shoefly how about a picture of the rust??

I'll see if I can get one up tonight.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly View Post
    It's in the middle of the passenger door. I'd be worried about paint matching, or can you get it that close? I'm just seeing images of honda's with primer bumpers...
    The paint match will look better than rust...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton