Thread: Cockpit Brace? (Too tall for roll bar...)

Default Cockpit Brace? (Too tall for roll bar...)

Here's my dilemma. I'd like a roll bar for stiffness and safety, even though I have no plans to race/track. But I'm 6'2"... I brush the soft top with my head when its up. As far as roll bars go, the M2 Sport, I believe, has the best clearance. Well, I sat in Tim the Teacher's car with that bar on Sat and was using the bar as a head rest No way that's a good idea. (yes, it is a real concern for me. In the past 15 years, I've been rear-ended about 10 times in my big, red pickup. 'cause its so hard to see . So given the quality of drivers around here, present company excluded , I have a real fear of getting tagged from behind again. So head clearance is a big issue).

If anyone has any suggestions for a roll bar that would work for me, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I was at least thinking about getting a cockpit brace to stiffen up the chassis a little. I've been able to find two: the Frenzy Brace and one from Good-Win. Or I could make my own (but for the price of these, its probably easier to just buy one). Anyone tried either of these? Any opinions or comments? I'm leaning more towards the Good-Win one just because it sits lower and is less obtrusive, but I'm still open...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm in the same boat. I have the HD Sport and come close to bonking my head. I've done a foam-ectomy and that helped gain some head room. Most tall folks live with it (you have no choice really) and buy the high-density padding and cover to go over the bar.

I think one of the OEM bars from a '94-'97 Miata would work as well. Personally, I think they provide a "bit" of chassis stiffening, but nowhere near the rigidity of a 4-point rollbar.
    All you can do is lower your seat, pad the rollbar, and move your seat to a more erect posture to keep your head away from the bar.

Speed

Yeah, I'm 6'2" as well and never found a roll bar that would fit me and the car...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Default What about the new Hard Dog bar?

Thread on the pointy board HERE and more specifics HERE It's basically a single hoop + diagonals, based on the Deuce mounting points. Tom at Bethania stepped up in response to people who couldn't get BSP to supply the BSP competition bar.

Somewhere in that thread, Tom at Bethania says the new bar is just below and behind the rear-most top bow on his '95. I put my pool noodle window protector there on my '96 and it looks like it'd be good way from my head. I'm 6'0" for what that's worth.

The temporary working name for the new bar was "No Brainer"

Like you guys, I've been interested in getting a bar, but I'm sure I'd crack my skull in a rear-end collision with any of the current bars. I guess I've never really measured a HDHCHT bar, but the new one is supposed to be even farther back. I doubt any of us would pass the broomstick test, but with a single hoop and a diagonal or two, I bet it meets enough of the SCCA spec to pass at most track days...

Craig
    Last edited by CraiginTX; 10-31-2006 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added a second link
    '96 M-edition

My buddy Bo is 6' 2". I have the corbeau forza seat in my car, which is a few inches shorter than a stock seat, and his head is even with HDHCDD. He also has a long torso though.

You might consider a seat change, though, that increases overall cost.

You can remove part of the padding in the stock seat base. Gary did it in his '96 and it allows you to sit lower, as well as hold you snug.

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    I doubt any of us would pass the broomstick test, but with a single hoop and a diagonal or two, I bet it meets enough of the SCCA spec to pass at most track days...

Craig
    Godd reference to the roll structure requirements in the SCCA'S General Competition Rules and the PCA's Club Racing Guidelines in this thread, including links to the relevant documents.

Long story short, your bar will either pass SCCA GCRs or it won't. There is no "almost passing". Some track day organizers won't care, in which case you can run with any bar or no bar at all. However, some groups do care (like the Porsche Club of America), in which case you won't be allowed to run or you'll be restricted to specific run groups.

If compliance matters to you, I suggest doing some reading to find out what is required of you in your particular car to be legal (at the least a bar that meets specs, and for most people a seat as well). If it doesn't matter to you, don't worry. I would definitely second Sammm's suggestion to use high-density FIA-approved rollbar padding instead of the cheap pipe insulation or nothing at all.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Long story short, your bar will either pass SCCA GCRs or it won't. There is no "almost passing". Some track day organizers won't care, in which case you can run with any bar or no bar at all. However, some groups do care (like the Porsche Club of America), in which case you won't be allowed to run or you'll be restricted to specific run groups.
    Which was almost my point. At Hallett, for example, they said that cars with comp. tires must also have a roll bar. No specifics about what specs the roll bar had to meet. If the bar was constructed according to SCCA GCRs, I'm sure they'd let you on the track with it at Hallett - even if you sit up higher than the SCCA GCRs would allow. Of course, they may have let a Deuce qualify also - in which case the new bar doesn't get you much.

If that wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that you might "sort of" meet the SCCA guidelines. Only that there might be cases where a Deuce might not be allowed but the new bar would - due to how some organizations choose to implement roll bar rules.

As you said - read the rules of any organization you want to run with, and buy accordingly...
    '96 M-edition

Thanks for the input, guys!
    Again, meeting SCCA or other track requirements isn't a concern for me. I'd like a roll bar, but really, really don't want to whack my head on it if/when I get hit from behind.

Craig's info on the new Hard Dog is interesting. I may give them a call and get more info.

I also talked to Brian at Good-Win and he mentioned the Autopower Street. He's 6'2" also and says it gives him the most room. But, for the group buy price, I think the new HD would be better, if it fits.

Hmmm... keep the suggestions and ideas coming!!

I've always wanted to find someone that would build a half-cage (if you will) that would accomodate the taller driver (and/or a high-backed racing seat) without going the distance of having a full cage built. Something that would allow for a worry-from-getting-a-concussion type of rollbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    I also talked to Brian at Good-Win and he mentioned the Autopower Street. He's 6'2" also and says it gives him the most room. But, for the group buy price, I think the new HD would be better, if it fits.
    I have that one. It limits the seat travel. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have short legs.

If you want, you can sit in my '03 and check it out.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Ijust got the hard dog m2 sport on e-bay. Am I going to have any problems with head room? I am 5-10 but 250. while my weight seems to have settled below the top of my head. I still sit high In the seat. I thought that I sat In garys car and didn't have a problem but heck that was last year...
    mine is an 01

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I have that one. It limits the seat travel. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have short legs.

If you want, you can sit in my '03 and check it out.

RJ
    Thanks, RJ! I appreciate that
    However, if it limits seat travel, then it is out for sure and I don't need to sit in it. With 34 in. inseams, I'm not willing to give up any leg room!

I called Tom at Hard Dog about their new "No Brainer" bar that Craig mentioned. It sounds like it may just be the ticket (or as close as I'm likely to ever come given the restrictions created by the soft top's shape)! While I'd like to see it in person, the 'introductory offer' that he's running this week may be enough incentive to make me go ahead and give it a go...

Quote Originally Posted by racersdad336 View Post
    Ijust got the hard dog m2 sport on e-bay. Am I going to have any problems with head room? I am 5-10 but 250. while my weight seems to have settled below the top of my head. I still sit high In the seat. I thought that I sat In garys car and didn't have a problem but heck that was last year...
    mine is an 01
    Someone with an M2 Sport will likely chime in, but given that it hit my head about 1 inch down, and you're 4 inches shorter than me, I would guess that you'd be fine. If the seat isn't all the way back, that would help, too. Of course, it all depends on how much of your height is in your torso

Lower the seat...............