Thread: Overdrive units??

Default Overdrive units??

I was in the "Parts is Parts" section when I decided to post this, but I thought it might also fly here... sorry for the redundancy!

------------------------------------------------------------

OK... I'm That Guy that asked about a 6-speed swap a while back, because I was looking for the Holy Grail - 80 mph at considerably less than 4K rpm. So, my mind started wandering back through history (esp since a buddy of mine just bought an MGB GT), and my thoughts stumbled across the Laycock Overdrive unit. Essentially, as I understand it, this was a 2-speed planetary gearbox with electric solenoid actuation that bolted between the tranny and the rearend. So... armed with this info, I have questions.

1) Does anyone make such an animal for the Miata???

2) If not, has anyone successfully adapted one these little beasts to a Miata???

I mean, it sounds like a fantastic idea to me, because I would greatly enjoy all the benefits that this might offer on an 800 mile/day road trip. Can you imagine? 30+ mpg on the highway (I'm getting about 26-27 with my lead foot)? 350 (400?) miles+ on a tank of gas? Wow. Words cannot describe. How can this NOT be a Bad Thing? So... I'm still hunting for clues, but if anyone out there knows anything, please do share!

Thanks!

Put a VW Diesel in it!!

Had electric overdrive in a TR6 I had, it got me like a 300-500 rpm drop. Pulled it and went back to a 4 speed, drive shaft had to be changed. The unit was pretty darn heavy.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 11-12-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Hmmm... VW Diesel, eh? Bad ass! What a torque-monster! YOW!

Well, the O/D seemed like a good idea at the time. It was late.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Audi has been doing OK with a Diesel.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

Well, the O/D seemed like a good idea at the time. It was late.
    I'm getting the impression you're not happy with the vehicle???

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Audi has been doing OK with a Diesel.
    Yeah, it's just the rest of the car they're having problems making reliable.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I'm getting the impression you're not happy with the vehicle???
    Oh... not at all - I didn't mean to give that impression. It's everything I ever thought it would be - I love the hell out of it. But I'm looking to tweak a few things, and if they can't be tweaked it's not a deal-breaker. I'm not selling! :)

Step up to higher gears in the rear end.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    Step up to higher gears in the rear end.
    Without boost wouldn't you end up with Moped like acceleration with a higher geared rear end??

Miata VS. Ruckus

Who will win???? Sunday Sunday Sunday

Talking

I almost outran her last time! I think her Moped had VTEC!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Maybe these guys could help.

Linkie

I have heard of people putting Lenco's behind regular transmissions. But it would not be an easy bolt on.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 11-14-2006 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add info
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

OK, then boost!
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    They are torquey. They make peak torque at 1900 rpm. My friend has a 1999 that I drove recently. He averages 42mpg in the city! He fills it full of books and uses it for his autotrader routes. They are hard to find for a good price with decent miles.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Without boost wouldn't you end up with Moped like acceleration with a higher geared rear end??
    ok maybe try not going THAT high? hehe i was thinking a 6 speed tranny, with the reg 5 spd gears, plus one more for those long road trips. it doesnt seem to hard to do. i just need a lil research, for that last gear, a blown 6 spd tranny, which doesnt come by too often, and some time. the trade off is... have you driven a 6 speed? not quite teh same as a 5. just my .02