Thread: Popping out switch blanks

Default Popping out switch blanks

This just sounds so easy, but either I'm missing something, or there's some engineer sitting in a corner laughing himself to death over his diabolical one-way design for keeping the dash switches in place over those RR tracks on Ave N (plano)....

I'm trying to get one of the switch blanks out of my M1 (97) so I can put the defroster switch in.

1) all I can find on the web says to reach around from behind. But on my '97, there's a metal plate that prevents you from actually reaching the backs of the switches. Now if my fingers had 4 segments and were about 18" long, I might be able to do it. -- How do you get these blanks out???

2) Best I can tell, the correct blank to remove is the leftmost blank; the one nearest the driver door. Can anyone confirm this for the '97?

Thanks!!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Should just be some 'ears' on the blank holding it in. They all release from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Should just be some 'ears' on the blank holding it in. They all release from the back.
    Problem is though -- I can't *GET* to the back.....

Quote Originally Posted by rold5 View Post
    Problem is though -- I can't *GET* to the back.....
    Climb under there ands take a peek! See if ya can move the metal plate.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Better yet, save your back the pain of contorting to see under there and use a mirror and a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ok -- sometimes you just need a kick in the right direction. THANKS!.....

If you approach it from the steering column side, that metal plate blocks you. I thought it went all the way across, but it doesn't. the switches are reachable from the other side by reaching in towards the outside of the footwell. I was able to pop it out very easily then. Doh!

For reference, on the '97, the defrost switch is the innermost on the left side of the steering wheel.
    However, even though the blanks are 'keyed' to accept the appropriate plugs, I think they could be moved easily enough. I plan to try. I want my defrost switch where I can see it better.

Thanks

Question Another challenge now....

Quote Originally Posted by rold5 View Post
    However, even though the blanks are 'keyed' to accept the appropriate plugs, I think they could be moved easily enough. I plan to try. I want my defrost switch where I can see it better.
    They move very easily.

It works! - I metered it to check because there is no visible light on the dash.

That's because my KG Works instrument panel (http://rspeed.net/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=3116) doesn't have a cutout for the defroster light! The KG panel is beautiful, but....anyone ever try to either relocate the defroster light, or modify one of these to show the defrost light?