Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25hrs of Thunderhill

Default 25hrs of Thunderhill

Well, I am leaving tomorrow evening to pit for the WAR (Wheels America Racing) team. Wish us luck. I'll need it, I'm gonna be the fuel guy.

http://www.nasa25hour.com/
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Good luck! Keep us posted.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What can I say ?

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Well, got back at 1am Monday. Back hurts like you wouldn't imagine. I was the fuel guy and we had 3 cars running. 3 cars, 10 gallons each stop (2 5 gal jugs), for 12.5 hrs. I might have caught 1 hr of the race, and about 40-45 min of sleep.

Results: 30somethings! The only way we could make it hurt less was by saying "At least we were on the first page of results". 60+ cars showed. The first 8 hrs we were 3d overall and 1st in class. Then the #04 (98 miata) motor started it's death call, and told them to drive it till it blows. Then the #05 (94 ITA Miata w/ LINK) lost RR wheel due to previous impact (knocked off rear bumper). It was the top runner for our cars at that point. Then the 05 lost the diff, then the 04 finally died, then the 06 (90 Miata) lost the diff. At this point all 3 cars were getting worked on. The 06 car would go 2hrs between fuel stops, 04 would go 1.5hrs, and the 05 would only get 1hr 20min (what kind of tune was it running to get worse mileage??). Then 32 min left in the race the 06 motor started it's death tone, so we let it sit till 6 min left and all 3 cars finished.

The car that finished first set the new lap record at 705 laps. It was a 996 Porsche Cup car.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Pics?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Pics?
    My buddy brought his camera, and let one of the wives use it cause we were both too busy to do it ourselves. I'll post them here as soon as he gets them up.

I totally screwed him, too. He was one of 2 "behind the wall" mechanics. So he got to sit and watch me do refuel after refuel the first 8-9 hrs. Then when the 04 came in I touched his shoulder and said, "TAG, your it." and he was working the rest of the night with no breaks!

Awsome, I would like to try some enduro's after college.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Awsome, I would like to try some enduro's after college.
    Um...DON'T!

Well, unless you can get a good job, like the one I volunteered for next yr. The pit to our right had a guy that had a radio on, and carried a flashlight at night.

His job was: talk to drivers on radio, shine light during pitstops

That was it. I can do that!! He never had to jump the wall or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    His job was: talk to drivers on radio, shine light during pitstops

That was it. I can do that!! He never had to jump the wall or anything.
    That's what I was talking about. You guys need one of those?

Oh, duh, another thing that maybe my job a pain!

Only suit they had for me was a Large. I am EASILY an XL. It served as an extra layer of skin, just slightly shorter and thinner than the ones below it. I couldn't touch the top of my helmet or lean down to pick anything off the ground. I have PAINFUL sores on my shoulder blades, shoulders, and "love-handles". I had to unzip it after every stop so I could breathe.

That's what I was talking about. You guys need one of those?
    You are presently 3d on that list for next yr.

1. ME
    2. David
    3. you

Only suit they had for me was a Large.
    I knew that avatar pic was too good to be true...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I knew that avatar pic was too good to be true...

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

pics

I am the guy in the red/orange suit in the first pic.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I am the guy in the red/orange suit in the first pic.

Standing around in an orange suit? How hard could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Talk about car nerds, notice no one is looking at her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast