Thread: Hey Adam & Nexus...

Default Hey Adam & Nexus...

Comptech just released their exhaust and header for the Si.

I have to admit: that is one fine looking exhaust.

I'm still holding out that maybe I'll be able to find the $$$ ($$$$$$.....) for Mugen's Twin Loop once it's released, but the Comptech is a very tempting alternative.

S.

Dang... they run the exhaust pretty close to the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Comptech just released their exhaust and header for the Si.

I'm still holding out that maybe I'll be able to find the $$$ ($$$$$$.....) for Mugen's Twin Loop once it's released, but the Comptech is a very tempting alternative.

S.
    I'll have to take some pics of my Mugen Twin-loop, or you're going to have yo come out to one of the Wednesday meets.

Also the Mugen T-L has been out for a while. King Motorsports has it for $1045. It's the Mugen Sports Exhaust System PN 18000-XK2-K0S0.

From what I've read the shorty headers don't make much power. Here is a link to Comptech's dyno chars for their Si header and exhaust so you can get a better idea of the performance gains. It looks like the H+E combo yielded a max gain of +11 HP at @6400 RPM.

I think the one of the main reasons Adam got his was because it was really cheap. And I'm talking TCB levels of cheapness here.

Adam, didn't you pay some thing in the $200 range for yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Dang... they run the exhaust pretty close to the spring!
    You think that's close, you should see how close my T-L is to the sway and the spring. I'm talking 1/4" - 1/2" at best.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 11-29-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    You think that's close, you should see how close my T-L is to the sway and the spring. I'm talking 1/4" - 1/2" at best.
    I had a Borla cat-back on my car for about 30 minutes that had clearance like that between the midpipe and axle. First bump on the maiden voyage and I could hear them making a grinding contact. Borla suggested I stick a shim in the hanger to keep it from moving so much. I suggested they stick their exhaust where the sun don't shine, and promptly shipped it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Also the Mugen T-L has been out for a while. King Motorsports has it for $1045. It's the Mugen Sports Exhaust System PN 18000-XK2-K0S0.
    I don't see where there's a fitment for 06+ Civics.

S.

Titus,

Mine doesn't touch at all. It just nicely sits there and barely moves. There are no signs of rubbing on the sway nor the spring. As Ace Ventura would put it, "Like a gllllove!"

Srivendel,

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there are some chassis differences (not just on top). What is your chassis code? ie EP3, EP?. It's a lot easier to search JDM sites by these codes rather than model years and body styles.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I've actually asked King about the T-L for my Si. They assure me it will be "arriving soon." My big question is: can I imagine paying $1,045 for an exhaust system?!

I've always thought of Comptech as a pretty respectable brand. Am I wrong about that?

S.

Nice, but the coffee can on the end should be BIGGER!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Nice, but the coffee can on the end should be BIGGER!
    Tiss no coffe can my friend. My T-L setup is only mildly louder than stock and sounds very mellow and well behaved.

As for Srivendel,

Look around the forums such as CRSX or H-T. I got my T-L setup for $350 and my stock exhaust.

Also, don't think I'm knocking on Comptech. I have their short shifter. I must say that due to it's simple design resultant ease of installation I had barely considered anything else. Granted $70 is a little much for about 4 oz. worth of machined aluminum but they work great and I have heard nothing but great reviews about them.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 11-29-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Yes I paid just under $200 for my shorty header. Comptech's race header does make some nice gains, the SH's don't. I would wait for a race header setup to come out, or do something like I did. It doesn't make sense to pay $600 for 3-5hp when you can spend less for a race header that makes 10-15hp.

My idea was to get the SH and add a test-pipe, and I should see 10-12hp. I might lose 3-4hp over a race header, but I think my mid-range gain will make up for it, as that is where I will see my best gains. I still haven't done another dyno run, perhaps I will stop by next Wednesday. I want to see what, if any, gains the SH gave me.

As for the exhaust, I am getting the Comptech exhaust, eventually. It's $650 for the RSX, but that's about the middle of the road in pricing. It's supposedly the loudest RSX exhaust, and it is a bit larger in diameter than most of the exhausts made for the RSX. The tip is slightly smaller than the OEM tip

I would research the different exhausts and find the one that is closest to 2.5" ID (Inner Diameter). Comptech is one of the very few that comes that close for the RSX.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Doesn't the race header screw up your emissions compliance?

Here's what Comptech emailed me:

On the 06 Civic SI we did four tests; 1)stock exhaust/stock header, 2)our exhaust/stock header, 3)stock exhaust/our header, 4)our exhaust/our header. The results of 2 and 3 where pretty much the same, yielding about 1-2 hp. When combining both aftermarket header and exhaust in test 4 we realized about 7hp. So on that car you really need to get both, not just one or the other. If you are going to keep the car N/A long tube headers will be your best bet for more hp. If you are going to supercharger the car you will probably see similar gains with either header. I’m sure the long tube would still win out slightly in the top end. Once again though, most of the long tube, eliminate the cat, headers are gong to be illegal for street use in California and other various states. If you live somewhere where there are no emission laws then go for it and do what you want.

My current thinking is to do this plus the Injen intake and the Hondata reflash. I'm not interested in seriously stressing the engine, going FI, or doing anything radical. A nice, smooth HP bump, lower VTEC point, and higher redline should suffice.

S.

The race header does eliminate the cat, but you can put a defouler (under a buck at Pep Boys) on the #2 O2 sensor to keep from getting a CEL. You would have to swap in the stock header for emissions, but you have 2 years until that first test

I am doing the SH + test-pipe to get similar gains to a RH, but easier removal/installation for inspections. I'd rather replace a down-pipe than the entire header.

I wonder why the Si doesn't see gains w/o both... I will try to get to the dyno next week and see what the SH did for me. I don't notice any extra power.
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 12-07-2006 at 02:13 PM.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

And do we have any data on the effectiveness of high flow cats like this one?

If it gets close to a test pipe, I would prefer to keep the cat on the car.

S.

That would be a good option. I think the RSX only loses 3 or 4 hp w/ that as opposed to the test-pipe. Random-tech is good, a little pricey, but it's a pre-made piece. The other option is a CarSound hi-flow cat, but it's a custom weld job; total price is probably about half that of the RT cat.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I just came across this, it's pretty interesting... check near the bottom

CLICKIE
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    And do we have any data on the effectiveness of high flow cats like this one?

If it gets close to a test pipe, I would prefer to keep the cat on the car.

S.
    Look at the outlet diameter. Ideally you want something close to 2.5" for NA applications. The one you showed here is a 2" which makes it probably smaller than OEM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP