Thread: Headlight bulbs

Default Headlight bulbs

I want to swap out my bulbs for something brighter. I have E-Codes so all I need is new 9003 (H4) bulbs. I've read the old threads on this subject.

From what I've read Silverstars are great but they don't last. PIAA's are more than I want to spend.

I've read some positive reviews on the Phillips VisionPlus which seem to only be available in the UK. I found them online for about $31 shipped.

There is also the Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs that are supposed to be even better at about $42 shipped.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reviews? Recommendations?
    Last edited by black roadster; 12-17-2006 at 02:05 AM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Moss LoPros are $75 off right now with the Christmas code. If you think you are ever going to go that way, it may be a good time to bite the bullet.

I'm running some CATZ bulbs right now that I really like but they aren't in production anymore.

I have run PIAA superwhites before (the least blue ones they make) and they were great. I bought my first set for my integra back in 97 and they lasted until 2001. Just look on ebay and you'll find them pretty cheap.

The BMW guys like the silverstars a lot and don't seem to have longevity problems with them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

My silverstars lasted just under a year
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Ran both the PIAA and teh Silverstars on my protege5 awile back..

Definately had better luck on longevity with the silverstars, but I liked the PIAA bulbs better
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

optilux h9
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

There are also the new Siverstar Ultra's.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

The Silverstar is a POS! I had two pairs and all RIP in less than 1 year of service. Granted I drive half the time with my lights on because I go to work at 6AM. When one went out, the other also went out within a week. This proveds that the short service life is "designed" into the product!

I buy my bulbs from the link as black roadster has put up. Last time I went the TCB way and bought the "house brand" and got buy one pair and get one pair free. They were cheaper (before the freebe) than the Philips VisonPlus. They are just a little less bright and white. They are in the 18th months of service and still very bright! I have no complain, considering the price vs performance.

The major difference between the European bulbs (not US DOT leagl) is the cut off of light pattern at the top. It is lower than the US. For the same amount of light the bulb puts out, more is focused on the road, rather than on the overhead road signs and the on-coming traffic.
    Gabriel

Let me know what is your experince with Philips Xtreme if you ends up with them. It is back order now!. It must be the hottest thing going in Europe!
    Gabriel

The BMW guys like the silverstars a lot and don't seem to have longevity problems with them.
    The BMW guys are not TCB like most of us here! Also, may be the headlight housing design making the difference in service life.

It is also on the pointy board that lots of Miata have longevity issue with the Silverstar.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    The major difference between the European bulbs (not US DOT leagl) is the cut off of light pattern at the top. It is lower than the US. For the same amount of light the bulb puts out, more is focused on the road, rather than on the overhead road signs and the on-coming traffic.
    The pattern has nothing to do with the bulb. I had Euro-spec housings on the M3, it's all about the reflectors or lenses, not the bulb.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

The pattern has nothing to do with the bulb. I had Euro-spec housings on the M3, it's all about the reflectors or lenses, not the bulb.
    That is exactly the point. If you look closely at the Europe spec. bulb, you find a small reflactor inside the bulb and the construction inside is differnt from the US spec.. You can find the same info. at the point board. It is not from the stuff I smoke. I can really see the difference in the heights of the beams shinning on my garage door.
    Gabriel