Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I'm going to Autosound in Arlington tomorrow

Default So, I'm going to Autosound in Arlington tomorrow

We're going to discuss a full-system install in the Si. It's been years since I've bought serious car stereo equipment and I know the technology has improved.

I would welcome any input y'all might have about questions I should ask/concerns I should raise.

It turns out stock EX/Si CD players have a relatively high failure rate (including mine) so I'll be going with an aftermarket head unit. I plan on getting a 6.5" touch screen that will look, at first glance, like the factory navigation unit. It will likely be this Alpine unit.

From there it will be the usual component speakers in the front, rears for fill, a quality sub (JL Audio W7?), and good amps.

I will add Sirius to the Alpine head. I don't want Nav and don't care about DVD. This should be a pretty straightforward deal, but again, it's been a while so I may be missing something.

Thoughts? Suggestions? For instance, should I use JL's factory sub boxes or go with something custom? Pending a second listening test, I would like to go with Focal speakers. Good choice? Bad?

Thanks in advance,
    S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 12-21-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Some random thoughts...

Alpine is not as high-end as it used to be, so it may not be the best choice for SQ. If you are looking at it for it's features and ability to "look stock", it is a good compromise. If you want the best SQ, take a look at the some of the Eclipse head units.

You can do a lot better than JL for raw drivers, but if you are looking at a JL box made to fit in the Civic, it will be an OK compromise.

Bring a CD (not MP3) with you that is something that you know sounds better on your home system than on the stock Civic system and that you can easily identify the differences. Jazz tends to work good for this.

Don't base your speaker judgments on the display board. It is not a good comparison to what it sounds like in the car. Ask them to hear their car. If they are recommending something different than is in their car, ask if any of the other people at the shop has them so you can hear what they sound like with your CD in a car.

Focal is a very good choice in it's price range.

I've heard that about Alpine and it makes me sad, although many people will say that news of Alpine's decline is greatly exagerated. The single-DIN head unit looks like ass on the Civic dash, and also looks way too inviting to thieves.

If Eclipse made something that looks like the Alpine unit, I'd buy it -- but they don't. Is this Pioneer unit likely to be better than the Alpine? You see my problem: a stock look is important. I'm probably going to have them pull off the manufacturer's badge of whatever unit I go with.

I'm surprised by your comments on the JL subs. Who else, then? I used to have a Kicker Solobaric that I loved...

S.

I have been out of the game a while, but I have been doing a lot of research of late, and talking to old friends still in deep. I had JL subs in my trophy winning Integra system, but that was 15 years ago. At the time, JL made only subs, and they were one of the best. Since then, it looks they have spent their resources moving into amps, component sets, head-units, SPL subs, etc. I get the feeling the subs haven't advanced much from a SQ standpoint since then, and others have passed them by. I have mentioned JL to a few of my friends as a sub that I was going to use and the response I get is "Meh... you can do a lot better". I hear Image Dynamics, FOCAL, and Morel mentioned among others.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The only part of this I understand is the title. Beyond that, why are you driving half way across the Metromess to buy audio equipment? I've heard of Autosound, but are they that great?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

onething, I'm not familiar with Autosound, but I can tell you this - if you're remotely interested in any sort of auto audio system, avoid CarToys like the plague.

You remember the system in my VW? It was a great system and a nice install (wouldn't call it great) but the killer was the customer service. They were awful... and not just the store in Frisco. I thought perhaps this one was the anomaly but it seems to be the same for several stores. I've been told by others that they've reached the same conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Twhy are you driving half way across the Metromess to buy audio equipment? I've heard of Autosound, but are they that great?
    They come recommended by people on and off this board. They also come recommended by the shop I used to deal with in Austin. If I were going to install it myself I would just buy it off the Internet. But installation quality is 90% of the battle with car audio and it's worth the drive to get a shop with a good reputation.

I've heard nothing but good things about Earmark in Dallas, but a different person answers the phone each time I call. I like being able to deal with the same staff every time. Just a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    but I have been doing a lot of research of late, and talking to old friends still in deep.
    And why is that, Sparky?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    The only part of this I understand is the title. Beyond that, why are you driving half way across the Metromess to buy audio equipment? I've heard of Autosound, but are they that great?
    From what I hear, they are a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    And why is that, Sparky?

S.
    I am collecting pieces for a $2000 SQ system on a $500 budget. I already have 2 old school Soundtream amps that I picked up for under $50 each on EBay, and I have a set of Vifas for the doors on the way.

I am collecting pieces for a $2000 SQ system on a $500 budget.
    For the Murano?

S.

Alpine is not as high-end as it used to be, so it may not be the best choice for SQ. If you are looking at it for it's features and ability to "look stock", it is a good compromise. If you want the best SQ, take a look at the some of the Eclipse head units.
    While that is true about a lot of Alpine's 2005-2006 model stuff, they are supposedly getting back to higher quality stuff with their 2007 line. The problem with the IVA-W200 is the pitiful 2V amp pre-outs. IMO, that is completely unacceptable.

If you want to look at Eclipse's offerings, check out the Eclipse AVN5435. I would look at Pioneer's AFIC-Z1 or the D1/D2 (D2 is the newer one). They seem to be the better double-din units out there. Pioneer also uses much better DAC processing than Alpine currently does, and the SQ is much better.

You can do a lot better than JL for raw drivers, but if you are looking at a JL box made to fit in the Civic, it will be an OK compromise.
    The W7 is an excellent sub, but very expensive. I know you've seen me recommend them before, but the Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 is more than half the price (there are forum discount codes to make it even cheaper), and has better SQ reviews with similar SPL results to the W7. It also has a 3-year warranty, most speakers only come with a 1-year.

I would also recommend using their amps, they are incredibly cheap for what they are rated at. I had a higher-end Audiobahn mono amp for my Jeep's system, and, at 1/3 the price, the ED amps blow it out of the water. I had 1300x1ohm at 14.4V; the similar ED amp does 1200x1ohm at 12V. Look around, you won't see very many amps rated at 12V, everybody that isn't insanely expensive rates at 14.4V, which doesn't occur very much in a car (my Jeep could handle the 14.4V, it actually had 15V at the battery )

Bring a CD (not MP3) with you that is something that you know sounds better on your home system than on the stock Civic system and that you can easily identify the differences. Jazz tends to work good for this.
    I would bring both a CD and a MP3 disk, with a variety of music that you actually listen to. The difference in quality is pretty noticeable, and some units don't convert MP3 as well as others.

Don't base your speaker judgments on the display board. It is not a good comparison to what it sounds like in the car. Ask them to hear their car. If they are recommending something different than is in their car, ask if any of the other people at the shop has them so you can hear what they sound like with your CD in a car.

Focal is a very good choice in it's price range.
    AutoSound's board setup is pretty good. Granted it's not exactly the same as in a car, but the differences between each speaker combo is very noticeable nonetheless. I agree about Focal. Boston Acoustics also has good component setups.

Matt, if you want somebody to go with you, I'm free tomorrow and wouldn't mind going up there to take a look around, I need to start looking at stuff before I start mine. I'll PM you my #.
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 12-21-2006 at 05:16 PM.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. I paid $150 for a custom box from AutoSound, and I would go with a custom over a pre-fab any day. You're going to pay about the same either way, so you might as well get something built both for the car and the sub.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

They come recommended . . .
    S.
    I have only heard good things too...just wondered.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Is this Pioneer unit likely to be better than the Alpine?
    S.
    I missed this post... I'd get that over the Alpine, fwiw. It has 24-bit DAC and 4v outs.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I've never heard focal speakers, but I have always had good luck with Boston Acoustics.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    I've never heard focal speakers, but I have always had good luck with Boston Acoustics.
    Yeah, I've had good luck with MB Quarts and Bostons. I liked the Quarts better because the highs were clearer, but the Bostons had a nice smooth sound. The Focals remind me a bit of the Quarts -- amazing clarity.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 12-22-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Not very knowledgeble about high end audio, but the guy at cartoys told me that they had had a very high defect rate on the 2006 year Eclipse. I never have had anyone install radio equipment but myself. I loved the Kenwood mask system, but would have to replace them every two to three years. I settled with Pioneer this last time.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    I second that! I'm a huge musik fanatic but I have no clue what the hell Titus and srivendel are talking about. I do know that the mid-line Boston speakers I got 5 yrs ago are what make my budget system rock and they sound better than most of my friends' expensive systems!

Sounds like you're going a few steps beyond my limits though! I sure wish I could have an all out setup. A buddies VW had some crazy $5k something system that was orgasmic! Listening to Stevie Ray in that car was like hearing it live, the base was so clear sounded natural!

Oh yeah, I'm sure ya already know but tuning the system is as important as you said the installation is. My VW friend came in 2nd at a show and afterwards the winner came over and adjusted his saying he would have won.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Adam (thanks, dude -- I hope you enjoyed driving the Si) and I visited Autosound on Friday. It's clear they know what they're talking about, but then they wrote the price up at full retail for parts and full retail for labor.

My experience has been that you get a pretty good break if you're having one shop install an entire system. So I'm going to see if the price is in fact negotiable and, if so, by how much. If they're serious about this full price strategy I'll walk.

Other options still on the table are Earmark and JR's Custom Auto. Does anyone else have a good shop to recommend? Thanks.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast