Thread: Spring Compressor

Question Spring Compressor

Anyone got one of these or know where I could rent one??

I've used the Vato-Zone spring compressors and this just looks like it may be a better choice! Figure clamp the shock in my vice and only one bolt to mess with rather than 2!

Talking

That's a mean lookin' contraption...

...but easier than our other options.

By the way, I'm still trying to find a decently priced wall mounted spring compressor... if you want easy, those are easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    ...but easier than our other options.
    That's what I am thinking!

Just get a moving blanket!

I had one of those and it was a POS. (no pun intended)

Seriously though. It was unweildy, confusing to use and sort of two big to grab the Miata springs. Might work better on springs for a big 'merican car though.

Outside of a floor mounted compressor, I think the cheapos with air tools is the best bet.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Seriously though. It was unweildy, confusing to use and sort of two big to grab the Miata springs. Might work better on springs for a big 'merican car though.
    Did ya clamp the shock in a vice first???

You can get spring compressors via Autozone's loaner tool program. That is where I got mine for my shock replacement. Get the one for strut springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You can get spring compressors via Autozone's loaner tool program. That is where I got mine for my shock replacement. Get the one for strut springs.
    Yea I know been there done that.

I have some spring compressors you can borrow, my shop is near 35 and 820 so probobly not too far from you. PM me if interested...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I have some spring compressors you can borrow, my shop is near 35 and 820 so probobly not too far from you. PM me if interested...
    I may take you up on that offer!

But I saw this on Miata.net may run down to Harbor Freight!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4416
    The HF clamshell is actually a pretty servicable piece of equipment. I just bought another one and am going to try and modify my old one so it fits between the springs a little easier. Suicide sticks are called suicide sticks for a a reason - avoid them.

The HF clamshell is on sale in one of the current catalogs for 29.99. It is item 43753-1CHH. Go online, use the "order from printed catalog tab", enter the item number, and then review your shopping cart. Print out that review page and take it to the local store and they will match the price. Or, you have catalog 478-B laying around, it's on page 16 at that price.

Yep, I was going to say harbor freight. Look on their website, they've got a few different spring compressors.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub