Thread: Any readers out there?

Default Any readers out there?

Any book readers out there? What do you read?

I enjoy John Grisham novels and WWII History books. I am now reading Nobel Peace Prize winner, Muhammad Yunis' book, Banker To The Poor.

Other books in my lineup are Harlem At War - The Black Experience Of WWII
    and Bill O'Reilly's latest, Culture Warrior.

The whole family goes to the McKinney Public Library every couple of weeks.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

One of my favourite books from the college days is Children of the City, by David Nasaw. Nifty read about turn-of-the-century, big-city-dwelling (think Manhattan & Chicago) youth and how they lived...play, work, et al.
    Now, if there was just a use for this history degree...

Other brainy favourites of mine are The Naked Anthropologist, by Philip DeVita, and The Professor and the Madman, by Simon Winchester.

For mindless entertainment, I've enjoyed the first two installments of Dean Koontz's 'Frankenstein' series and am anxious for the third. I also enjoy most all offerings from Stephen King and Isaac Asimov (who didn't just write sci-fi, fwiw).
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I love to read books. I have read almost every book written by Robin Cook, Dale Brown, John Le Carre, Jean Auel and W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. I thought I would be able to read more now that I am retired. But, there turned out to be a lot more things that need my time. I have a lot of books on my not read yet shelf. I can buy 'em faster that I can read 'em.

I am currently reading Marker by Robin Cook, Mazda Miata - The Full Story of the World's Favorite Sportscarby Brian Long and rereading The Mother Tongue English & How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson.

A great outing for the wife and I is a trip to Half Price Books.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Somehow I've never been able to fathom people who write "I'm currently reading so-and-so" (no offense). More than likely it's because it takes me 2 evenings to read a Harry Potter (at most)... I do love reading though. I used to burn through Hardy Boys mysteries in an hour or so.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Ahaha I read the Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman Dragonlance books.
    I live in my own world.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

I just read Slaughter House Five for school, and I can say its one book I didn't sell back.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Somehow I've never been able to fathom people who write "I'm currently reading so-and-so" (no offense).
    No offense taken. I guess I read like you guys say Tim the Teacher drivers.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I used to read Stephen King, but got tired of waiting for his next book in a series to come out. I've read all of Dan Brown's stuff (DaVinci Code is his most famous, but it's all good)

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned
    I have read almost every book written by ... Dale Brown...
    Flight of the Old Dog was an interesting concept for a stealth bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned
    A great outing for the wife and I is a trip to Half Price Books.
    That place is just dangerous!! I managed to rack up a $200+ tab there one day, magically. Love it...been going there since long before I could drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I used to read Stephen King, but got tired of waiting for his next book in a series to come out.
    Sounds like a former reader of the Dark Tower series. The ending was a bit...odd. Still like to cruise through these every couple of years.
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    Flight of the Old Dog was an interesting concept for a stealth bomber!
    YES! I was about to mention him. I think I've read every one of his books... they're great. They get a bit repetitive after reading one every day though.

That place is just dangerous!! I managed to rack up a $200+ tab there one day, magically. Love it...been going there since long before I could drive.
    Is there one near Grapevine?

Sounds like a former reader of the Dark Tower series. The ending was a bit...odd. Still like to cruise through these every couple of years.
    I want to start on his books, I just haven't had a chance. Are Stephen Kings books really any good?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey
    Is there a Half Price Books near Grapevine?
    Take a peek: Texas locations

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey
    Are Stephen Kings books really any good?
    All depends on your tastes. While you might like some of the movies based on his books or short stories (The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Pet Sematary, Carrie), there are likely others you might not like (Rose Red, Maximum Overdrive, Running Man, Pet Sematary II, etc.)

The same will go with the books. Some can be fabulous, some can be total losers. I can loan you a couple of either, if you like. However, for something pretty decent, grab a used copy of The Long Walk. Excellent story that, hopefully, will never be seen in movie form.

I tend to read a lot of pulp sci-fi, since I grew up with it (my dad had shelves and shelves full of sci-fi paperbacks). I'm currently reading Dan Simmons' Ilium, which I picked up while stranded in Denver airport, but it isn't that good.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    ...I can loan you a couple of either, if you like....
    If yer coming on Wednesday, bring em and I'll take em home
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata