Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you change your fuel filter?

The problem isn't the pressurization... The fuel filter is large for the size of car and holds a good cup of gasoline and the gasline feeding it runs down from the tank and holds even more gas. It will pour out on you as you disconnect the hoses.

There are things you can do to minimize it. I used kelly clamps & hemostats to clamp the hoses... but there is still a gas spill from the filter being full.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The problem isn't the pressurization... The fuel filter is large for the size of car and holds a good cup of gasoline and the gasline feeding it runs down from the tank and holds even more gas. It will pour out on you as you disconnect the hoses.

There are things you can do to minimize it. I used kelly clamps & hemostats to clamp the hoses... but there is still a gas spill from the filter being full.

RJ
    It's a fun job to do by candle light.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    I haven't tried this on my car yet, or replaced its filter, but on many cars the fuel system can be depressurized by pulling the appropriate fuse while the engine is running. This would reduce the spray hazard.

YMMV
    EFI cars all have a bleeder valve on the fuel rail that can allow pressure out quite easily. You may get fuel on you this way. If you let the car sit for a couple hours before disconnecting the fuel lines, most of the reserve pressure will bleed down.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    EFI cars all have a bleeder valve on the fuel rail that can allow pressure out quite easily. You may get fuel on you this way. If you let the car sit for a couple hours before disconnecting the fuel lines, most of the reserve pressure will bleed down.
    I always just un-screw the gas cap about 10 minutes before messing with the fuel lines and that helps a lot.

I'm not sure if it's easily accessible on a Miata, but I have always pulled the fuel pump fuse or the fuel pump power connector and let the car die from fuel starvation.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Either way the filter still has gas in it. I dont think it can get much less messy.

Default Gas in armpit...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    One time during ownership. Do it outside, wear eye protection and prepare to get gas in your armpit.
    Ooooo! And it stiiiings!

Texas has some of the worst gas in the country from what I hear. In school I was told that premium gas had additives and detergents in it for the top side. This last week in training I learned that high test gas does in fact have a higher octane rating, but also encourages carbon build up on the top side and doesn't possess the detergents that I thought it did. Guess it's back to a periodic bottle of Techron in the tank and the occasional BG top-side flush-out.

M
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12