Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 93 to 97 Miata

Oil Changer

Default WTB 93 to 97 Miata

This is my first post to the forum, so please let me know if I am out of line. I am looking for a nice, relatively stock Miata, 93 to 97. By nice I mean good paint, a top that I won't have to replace, drives tight like a Miata should, with a well taken care of interior. Suspension upgrades or a roll bar are OK, but a turbo or wing is wasted on me. In short, a car I would not be embarrassed to bring to a Metroplex Miata meeting. A DFW car would be nice.

After looking at the market I want to spend around $5,000 for a 80,000 to 90,000 mile car, up to perhaps $6,500 for one in the 60,000 mile range. I know this isn't top dollar, but it doesn't seem out of line. I will pay cash and won't waste your time.

I want to use this car to teach my sons the joys of a maual transmission, and how to take care of a car. Thank you, I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to meeting you guys.

Rick del Monte
    [email protected]

Welcome! With that kind of budget to buy a NA (first gen) I'd be in heaven! For a little comparative info, I bought my 92 in 01 for $4500 and my 90 about 3 yrs ago for $3700. Don't remember the miles on the 92 when I bought it, but my 90 was in mint condition, always garaged, EVERY receipt (including oil filter labels! OCD Jewish architect I got it from!), and 122k miles.

Good luck finding a nice one. Great shifter & factory clutch to someone how to drive a manual. I was somehow able to teach my sister and several cheerleader friends how do drive a stick in my Miata!

*Oh yeah, to anyone who has seen my car and going how the hell was it in "mint" condition when he got it! I've added 117k miles, had a fender bender, and been to probably 30 track days and it's certianly starting to show!
    Last edited by icepenguin66; 01-16-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Welcome to the board. I see Miatas for sale here from time to time, but some of the members post links to others that they find on other boards (ie Pointy board )

And come to one of the Wednesday meets to see some of the fine Miatas on this board (oh and meet the owners).
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard! With that kind of budget you'll be able to get a very nice Miata. Let us know if we can help.

Sorry i'm 2 years off....I've got a 91 that i'm preparing to sell. Good luck with ur search and welcome to the board. -Wes-
    1991 Mazda Miata....Bone Stock!
    2004 Ford Ranger....Small Cosmetic Updates

also look on cars.com and autotrader.com

they will let you save your search particulars and only show new since last search

don't be afraid to travel
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome rickdm. I bought my '94 last summer after searching for several months. It was advertised on this forum. Check the places that nealb suggested. Members of the forum usually post cars that may not be on those web sites. Good luck.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Oil Changer

Thanks for the welcome. I have been looking at most of the online sites. I found a few nice ones out of town, but since I have never actually driven a Miata I thought it would be nice to find one locally that I could go see.

I may try to come out to one of the meetings, it would be great to meet some owners and see what a nice one looks like. Do you guys still meet at this time of the year?

Thanks,
    rickdm

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    Do you guys still meet at this time of the year?
    Check in frequently in the Impromptu Events, Events and Drives, and the Event Planning forums for GTG (get-to-gether) information...

Between Tech Days, Garage Days, eating dinner and/or lunch together, and the upcoming autocross season, there's always something to do and somewhere to be...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    Do you guys still meet at this time of the year?
    AX season is not far off....check the Autocross section. Chances are there will be several Miata's attending any given event.

Rick,

If we can help look over a car you are interested in please let us know. We live in Plano, if that is convenient. If necessary we can do a compression and leak down test, put her up on a lift and look for any major issues. You would be better off finding a solid car that needs a little TLC. Parts are always available at a reasonable price.

I think you are making a great choice on helping your kids to learn about cars. Mileage on Miatas is not so much a concern as long as the car has been maintained properly. Probably everyone in this Miata group can contest to how reliable these engines are. You would be better off with a 100K car that has been maintained than a 50K car that has not.

Let us know if we can help.

Gary
    Cell 214-280-6172
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog View Post
    Rick,

If we can help look over a car you are interested in please let us know. We live in Plano, if that is convenient. If necessary we can do a compression and leak down test, put her up on a lift and look for any major issues.
    Is it just me, or is Gary starting to sound like the Queen of England, always referring to himself in third person?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

Is it just me, or is Gary starting to sound like the Queen of England, always referring to himself in third person?
    Plural no less...

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search.

We don't see a particular problem with that... At least he's coherent these days
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Plural no less...
    If you spend any time over at the dog house, you will find that where Gary is, Mike Preston is. It feels a little odd the few times I see one of them without the other.

EDIT: A box of sour milk?

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

First person plural, which is correct. (Clearly someone beside(s) Gary is proofreading.)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I thought that was strange too... why'd you pick that?
    Yeah... I'm sure you had nothing to do with it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yeah... I'm sure you had nothing to do with it.
    Alright, alright... you can change it back. I'm just making sure you remember what's important! Don't sweat the small stuff... and all that .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast