Thread: BMW 1 Series

Default BMW 1 Series

http://news.windingroad.com/body-sty...for-us-market/

I've been waiting for this for a looong time. If they really make it with the 335 turbo 6 engine, it'll be one helluva ride.

I met Chris Bangle 3 years ago at Pebble Beach when I was working with Texas Driver. He was talking about bringing the 1 series over back then, to get back to their 2002 roots. Hinted that it would be in the "future" though it *would* happen. Looks like he was right.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Lets see what the cost first. The 335i ending up on the lots are running between $42.5k and $49.5k. Even at $10k less, that is a lot for a hot hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Lets see what the cost first. The 335i ending up on the lots are running between $42.5k and $49.5k. Even at $10k less, that is a lot for a hot hatch.
    No doubt it'll be expensive. They don't make a BMW that isn't.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Yeah, if a decently optioned 1 Series stickers at $30k+, I'd be a lot more inclined to buy a used E46 M3. That's if I had to have a car with a roundel on the nose.

Of course, $30-35k will also buy you a nicely matched pair Japanese performance cars - like a low mileage RX-8 or new Mazdaspeed 3 for those cloudy days and the occasional need to carry more than two people, plus a used AP1 S2000/Mazdaspeed Miata/NC Miata for top down days. That's where I'd be more inclined to spend my money, but I detest paying new car depreciation.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Yeah, if a decently optioned 1 Series stickers at $30k+, I'd be a lot more inclined to buy a used E46 M3. That's if I had to have a car with a roundel on the nose.

Of course, $30-35k will also buy you a nicely matched pair Japanese performance cars - like a low mileage RX-8 or new Mazdaspeed 3 for those cloudy days and the occasional need to carry more than two people, plus a used AP1 S2000/Mazdaspeed Miata/NC Miata for top down days. That's where I'd be more inclined to spend my money, but I detest paying new car depreciation.

I still the the E36 M3 is a great performance bargain, but the prices of the RX-8, Mspeed 6 and Mspeed 3 are hard to beat.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'm with you on this Iain. I typically find myself figuring how many car(s) I could get for one lump sum, in this case, $30-$35K. I would go with an S2000, a TDI golf/jetta wagon, and put the rest in my miata and the S2K.

If I was in the market for a hot hatch, this 1 series looks like the one to beat. I'm sure the cost will be steep, but that engine should help it go down smoothly.

I'd hit it. BMW engineering. 300hp. RWD. Hatchback. What's not to love? It won't be the world's best value proposition, but people regularly pay $29k for Mini Coopers when they could buy MS3s or Civic Sis for $6-9k less. Why? Because they like the package, styling, etc. that the Mini has to offer -- and good for them! Subjective value preferences are what make capitalism work.

If I could get a 135i, reasonably optioned, for $35k I would probably buy one, but that's because the car pushes all the right buttons for me. And whether you think the value is there or not, the performance should be rather formidable.

Other people might prefer to spend that sum of money on something more track oriented.

S.

Suzan and I talked about a 1 series if they came to the states and were reasonably priced. We will be financially ready in two years to add another car to the stable without giving up the Miata or Sportage so it might get a look from us.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Other people might prefer to spend that sum of money on something more track oriented.

S.
    That CSL is one of the cleanest I've seen for sale.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

1 series for teh US? sweet! but I'll bet you many dollars that whiel it may beat up on a GTi- it will certainly cost a chitton more $$$...

We get the 1-series down here on the other side of the river, but no 335i as of yet..

even without the ~20% extra price BMWs have here, they're still expensive.. The *base* 120i starts at about 27,000 USD, and the 130i Sport comes in at nearly 45k..

Convert that to equivalent prices to what teh other BMW cars sell for in the US and you *might* be able to get into a base model for 19,995... But just the 130i Sport will still be mid-high 30s.. I woudl suspect the 335i would be pushing 40k pretty fast. Nice car, but not for that kinda coin!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    S.
    That's sweet. I love white Bimmers. This one looks even better with the race colors.