Thread: Harnesses- Problems with having only one?

Default Harnesses- Problems with having only one?

I am going to resist making this into another annoying poll, but I am curious if people run 1 or 2 harnesses in their track car. I was thinking that I would add one at some point, but then I heard that I should get 2 if I want to track the car as many track events require the same safety equipment for the instructor as the driver... including harnesses. Has anyone heard this?

Yep. I only had one harness in the Miata, and at more than one track event I was forced to run without it until I was soloed.

Keep in mind also that harnesses are a wear item, and should techinically be replaced every 3 years for on-track use. They are stamped with a build date, and some track event organizers won't accept an out-of-date harness. Keeps this in mind when shopping, and make sure you get a harness with a recent build date, whether buying new or used.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

And if you buy it new enough it will not have been built yet!

The manufacturers give it a little time to account for sitting on the shelf. My new harness for the spec shows a mfg date of 3/07.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have been looking at harnesses today as well and wondered if I could use one with the stock seat. Gary answered that with a yes so I was going to install one for The Drivers Edge event. A foamectomy and a bolster mod has given me a better fitting seat and coupled with a harness may save me some bling. Now that I see this thread I wonder if I should hold off......
    Last edited by Tim the Teacher; 01-22-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Just watch that the harness doesn't roll off your shoulders when using it and the stock seat...
    If using the stock seat get one with the sternum strap.

http://www.okmiata.com/r_upgrades.html#harness

The one for $179 is what I'm talking about. Six point is better if you don't want to bust a nut with that sub strap. I'm putting that 6 point unpadded cam lock harness in the Spec - The unpadded one is "Hans Friendly"

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!