Thread: Do locking lug nuts work?

Default Do locking lug nuts work?

I assume locking lug nuts don't exactly ward off thieves; otherwise, we would have solved the whole wheel theft thing. But for those that do have them, how do thieves get around them? Do they have an assortment of key lugs, do they break into your trunk and use your key lugs? Or do they cut them off or something? Anyone know?

While we're at it, how do they get around alarms?

Come one, I know some of you must have stolen a car or two in your lives, so share the tricks of the trade.

Spooked by the neighbors with the missing wheels?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Given enough time, someone will get your wheels off with or without locks...
    Yep, and if they want the car they will get it also!

A Pickup in my past was more than likely slid up on a flatbed, had a alarm and a club.

The easiest way to defeat wheel locks is to hammer a socket on over them, then use a breaker bar to unscrew the socket, taking the wheel lock with it.

Before I'm accused of having a sordid past, I discovered this the hard way when I bought a used car with wheel locks and no key. This was how my local Discount Tire solved the problem, and it didn't take them long at all.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    The easiest way to defeat wheel locks is to hammer a socket on over them, then use a breaker bar to unscrew the socket, taking the wheel lock with it.
    That's how we did it... we all weren't 's in our youths.

Thanks for the tip, I saw a Miata with Kosei K-1's that I want
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I saw a Miata with Kosei K-1's that I want
    Just remember, Texans can use weaponry to protect their private property.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

These lugnuts are pretty good from what I've heard...

Gorilla

As far as alarms, there's not much you can do to stop a good thief. If they want it, they're going to get it, and an alarm will slow them down for just a few seconds.
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 01-28-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: an... oops
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    As far as alarms, there's not much you can do to stop a good thief. If they want it, they're going to get it, and alarm will slow them down for just a few seconds.
    I never see anyone even pay attention to alarms anymore. Most people just ignore them now
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Before I'm accused of having a sordid past, I discovered this the hard way when I bought a used car with wheel locks and no key. This was how my local Discount Tire solved the problem, and it didn't take them long at all.
    Yep, had to do that to my sister's car. Like everyone has said, wheel locks do not ward off any true thieves. The original/regular Gorilla spline lug nuts all use the same wheel lock for one example. Same thing with car alarms, they only protect against your average punk from a spur of the moment crime. Any real thief is going to know how to get what he wants despite an alarm or wheel locks.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Spooked by the neighbors with the missing wheels?
    Nah, my cars are in the garage. I was just figured some of the miscreants on here could share some tricks of the trade and satisfy my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Nah, my cars are in the garage. I was just figured some of the miscreants on here could share some tricks of the trade and satisfy my curiosity.
    You're up early. Ready to go to work?

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    You're up early. Ready to go to work?

I'm up early also, we watched the two grandkids and the 2 month old woke us up at 6:30am.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...