Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-X & Insurance

Default Auto-X & Insurance

Just out of curiousity. If you had an accident driving Auto-X or say at MSR would the insurance company pay for damages?

Nope don't think they will, but I'm sure as hell not going to call my insurance guy and ask.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 02-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.

I've read in different places that track-days or performance driving events might be covered by some insurance companies. What they won't cover is competitive/timed driving. Since DE's are neither of these you might be able to argue with your insurance that they should cover it... that is after you explain to them how your car rolled 5 times and can be found in a tire barrier.

Autocross is definitely not covered b/c it's a timed event.

YMMV, so ask your insurance company if you dare.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

There is an Altiain joke that could be inserted here, but I'm going to take the high road....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    There is an Altiain joke that could be inserted here, but I'm going to take the high road....
    Please do tell. Or should we wait for him to tell the story

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I've read in different places that track-days or performance driving events might be covered by some insurance companies. What they won't cover is competitive/timed driving. Since DE's are neither of these you might be able to argue with your insurance that they should cover it... that is after you explain to them how your car rolled 5 times and can be found in a tire barrier.

Autocross is definitely not covered b/c it's a timed event.

YMMV, so ask your insurance company if you dare.
    I'd like to think that there is some type of insurance that would cover 2 events a year of Auto-X I mean your out there all by yourself with the cones. About the only thing bad that can happen is a tire blows out, I mean that could happen anywhere on any road.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I'd like to think that there is some type of insurance that would cover 2 events a year of Auto-X I mean your out there all by yourself with the cones. About the only thing bad that can happen is a tire blows out, I mean that could happen anywhere on any road.
    Call your insurance folks and ask them, see what they say!

On the Altiain thing it's a Autocross thing you need to attend an autocross or two to understand.

Stupid people are everywhere, including autocrosses. It was last year out at Mineral Wells that someone rolled an Evo in to the trees out there, and with the speeds you are going near the edges of the paved surface you never know what can happen.

Autocrosses are generally very safe, but people are the factor that can't be accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    Stupid people are everywhere, including autocrosses. It was last year out at Mineral Wells that someone rolled an Evo in to the trees out there, and with the speeds you are going near the edges of the paved surface you never know what can happen.
    Except that the stupid person in the Evo wasn't at an autocross. In fact, he and his stupid little buddies didn't even have permission to be using the site that particular day. They snuck onto it, screwed around, and one of them managed to plant his Evo into a tree about six feet off the ground.

There have been incidents at autocrosses, but they are extrmemely rare. In the nearly ten years I've been autocrossing, I think I've seen maybe half a dozen cars get truly damaged at events (yes, including my own incident in clovis' Elise last year ).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Except that the stupid person in the Evo wasn't at an autocross. In fact, he and his stupid little buddies didn't even have permission to be using the site that particular day. They snuck onto it, screwed around, and one of them managed to plant his Evo into a tree about six feet off the ground.

There have been incidents at autocrosses, but they are extrmemely rare. In the nearly ten years I've been autocrossing, I think I've seen maybe half a dozen cars get truly damaged at events (yes, including my own incident in clovis' Elise last year ).
    Anyone snap pictures of the idiots in the Evo? Anyone care to recap the story of the Elise?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Anyone snap pictures of the idiots in the Evo? Anyone care to recap the story of the Elise?
    Evo pics were quickly removed from the internet

NO.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Anyone care to recap the story of the Elise?
    Yeah, the Elise has the worst ABS brakes of any production car I've ever autocrosed. They work great when they work, but they are extremely prone to triggering "ice mode" on sticky tires, which in effect means you can stand on the pedal and nothing much happens. If this happened rarely (like it does in a C5 Corvette or a 350Z) it would be one thing, but it doesn't happen rarely. It happens a lot. At least, it does with my driving style.

Oh, and if you're going to center punch a cone at 65mph when the brakes fail to work properly, a urethane front bumper will stand up to the impact a whole lot better than a flimsy piece of British fiberglass.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Oh, and if you're going to center punch a cone at 65mph when the brakes fail to work properly, a urethane front bumper will stand up to the impact a whole lot better than a flimsy piece of British fiberglass.
    There you go blaming everything on the Brits! I hope Kiliwizz is listening, he's gone for like a day and you're blaming stuff on him!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Thumbs up

There you go blaming everything on the Brits! I hope Kiliwizz is listening, he's gone for like a day and you're blaming stuff on him!
    LOL!

So you just damaged the bumper on the Elise? Whatever happened to it?

LOL, poor Altiain has to relive this event about once a month. I wonder how many years it'll be before we forget... oh wait, we won't!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Talking

LOL, poor Altiain has to relive this event about once a month. I wonder how many years it'll be before we forget... oh wait, we won't!
    I got it written on a post-it-note so I don't forget!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    So you just damaged the bumper on the Elise? Whatever happened to it?
    The owner found a body shop whose work he liked, and I paid to have his little kit car fixed.
    Iain

Talking

The owner found a body shop whose work he liked, and I paid to have his little kit car fixed.
    Actual footage from inside Altiain's house!

Altiain Mrs. Altiain

Well, thats not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. I mean the way everyone built up the story, you'd of thought you ran over a nun. Sorry, to hear about that though. Just out of morbid curiousity, how much does a bumper on an Elise set one back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast