Thread: '91 BRG at PCA DE this weekend

Oil Changer

Default '91 BRG at PCA DE this weekend

I bought a '01 BRG for my sons to drive about a month ago and since my regular track car was at the shop I decided to take the Miata to the Porsche club DE. This car is stock except for Bilstein HD's, and Motul brake fluid. Gary and Mike put in a roll bar for me so I could be legal. I had a blast and I am amazed at how much more comfortable I am approaching the limits of the Miata than my own 911.

I got promoted to the white run group (the fastest group other than instructors) which was great. The senior driving instructor who drove with me in the check-out ride could not believe the handling of the Miata. He said; 'you are driving the piss out of this thing, what an awesome car'. The Falken Azenis were just great, the instructors could not believe the G forces I was generating with street tires. However a couple of things that I noticed;

-the stock pads were not good on the track, I switched to the Hawk HPS+ after the first run and was very happy with the brakes. The stock calipers with Motul and decent pads were more than adequate.

-cooling was not quite adequate. Once in white I started to really flog the car in order to keep up with all the GT3's and turbo's and the car started to overheat. If I was going to track this car reguilarly I would upgrade the cooling system.

-the handling on just a stock Miata is really awesome. I had to be very smooth to not upset the stock suspension, but otherwise it was great.

More of you need to come out to the PCA track events, they are very well run and you will have a great time. I have heard comments about not feeling welcome, but come hang around with me and my friends and we will make sure you feel welcome.

Regards,
    rickdm
    '91 BRG

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sounds like you are really enjoying your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    -cooling was not quite adequate. Once in white I started to really flog the car in order to keep up with all the GT3's and turbo's and the car started to overheat. If I was going to track this car reguilarly I would upgrade the cooling system.
    Sounds like fun!

When you're ready for the upgrade check out the aluminum racing radiators @ Gary's. I put one in the Spec project.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Oil Changer

The aluminum radiators look pretty good, I just have to decide how much I plan to track this car. It is after all my sons car I'm going to start with some Redline water wetter, a new thermostat, hoses, and 70% water and go from there.

rickdm

Sounds like you're hooked. Just as much fun as the Porsches but cheaper to own and maintain.

I've heard Water Wetter actually congeals into a nasty goo that clogs cooling systems. I'd just flush the cooling system, run the 30/70 mix and change the thermostat and radiator cap and see how it does. It seems the stock radiator should be adequate on a normally aspirated car in these cooler temps.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Where have you been? We've known all of this for fifteen years!!!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I've already replaced the radiator on my 01, and since you just bought your son's car there is no telling what kind of maintenance it got. You may end up replacing it this summer anyway.

Congratulations on introducing your Porsche buddies to the fun:cost ratio I discovered in 01
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Sounds like the Miata bug got ya! Glad to hear the little BRG was so much fun.

Maybe your boys would be interested in a nicely set-up 911? And if they're not, just let me know...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Oil Changer

I can't say that it hasn't crossed my mind to sell the 911 and continue to use the Miata. However I am spending quite a bit more than the cost of the Miata rebuilding my engine, money that I would not recover if I sold it. The only payoff from the rebuild money is to drive it and enjoy it. Howefver I will probably still feel the need to bring out the Miata every once in a while to pester a few of the Porsche guys.

rickdm

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm
    The only payoff from the rebuild money is to drive it and enjoy it. However I will probably still feel the need to bring out the Miata every once in a while to pester a few of the Porsche guys.
    I like this guy!