Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Solo Practice 3/11 -- Worth It? (Don't forget about DST!)

Default SCCA Solo Practice 3/11 -- Worth It? (Don't forget about DST!)

Anyone know exactly what this event entails? Is it worth attending? The chance for some seat time without and competition pressure is pretty appealing, but "practice" can mean a lot of things. Can any of our s shed any light on the matter?

S.

It's like any other practice. We first do some jumping jacks, then the coach has us take a knee for a pep talk. We split into shirts and skins, practice some drills, and then hit the locker room.

I assume people take turns working the course while others line up for as many runs as you want. I was planning to attend in order to play around with my shocks.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I haven't gone in a couple of years, but IIRC, it goes like this:

1. No fish net stockings
    2. You have to be an SCCA member
    3. There's usually a small AX course and a skid pad
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    1. No fish net stockings

We don't want to know any more about that.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    [*]No fish net stockings
    That leaves me out
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    It's like any other practice. We first do some jumping jacks, then the coach has us take a knee for a pep talk. We split into shirts and skins, practice some drills, and then hit the locker room.

I assume people take turns working the course while others line up for as many runs as you want. I was planning to attend in order to play around with my shocks.
    It's actually a lot more laid back than that. No one works the course. If you hit a cone, you go back out and pick it up. Or you have it arranged so that someone else does it for you.

SpinOutF500

This is a very laid back event (for SCCA). There will be an autocross course and a skidpad for certain. If there's enough room a dedicated slalom line - it was a big hit last year.

It's come when you like, leave when you like, run as often as you like, shag your own cones. We'll also be testing the newly revamped timing equipment and making some tweaks to the trailer and other stuff.

It's a great deal for a ton of seat time. There's a limited number of slots so sign up early...

Chief
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

What about annual tech? I really miss that.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Sorry - no annual tech this year.

Wait... is this the same as the practice in the other thread wherein your fee includes entry into the next days competition, or is this practice only? I'm going to see if I can get my days off switched around so I can go to one of these (the other is on the 17th supposedly? I think?). Somebody give me more info on this. If it's a Sunday only thing it would be awesome as I'm off that day...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Wait... is this the same as the practice in the other thread wherein your fee includes entry into the next days competition, or is this practice only? I'm going to see if I can get my days off switched around so I can go to one of these (the other is on the 17th supposedly? I think?). Somebody give me more info on this. If it's a Sunday only thing it would be awesome as I'm off that day...
    The school on the 17th followed up by Event #1 on the 18th may be more helpful.

More info = http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/

I have signed up for the practice. Still trying to sort out some suspension settings. I ran with no rear bar at MW last weekend, and it felt fairly good, though it wanted to rotate a little more than I would have liked. Probably at PF I'll have to use the stock 12mm bar and/or maybe a stiffer setting on the rear shocks. It's always better to sort things like this out at a practice as opposed to a race day.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

There are still plenty of spots left for the practice event. We will be accepting walk-up registration, so if you wake up Sunday morning and feel like some seat time come on out.

At $25 this is a great deal for a lot of seat time. No work assignments, no heat schedules. You'll be able to make as many runs as you like and really get your car dialed in for the start of the season.

Since you're accepting walk-ups I may show up. Can I get directions?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Since you're accepting walk-ups I may show up. Can I get directions?
    1501 Central Dr Bedford, TX 76022 use the online map service of your choice. We'll be just outside the stadium.

The following note just showed up in my e-mail!
    all of those that signed up for the practice please be aware that sunday is the start of Daylight savings time. which means that when you get up sunday morning you will have lost an hour. poof it's gone until November 11.
    so don't be late.

Later...

Thanks to Miatamoto for helping me improve my slalom and 270 degree turns. It was also cool to see how I could knock off a half second by keeping the corner leading into the second (off-set) slalom nice and tight. It is so tempting to overdrive sharp corners and just push out several yards.

Yes, a very nice, mellow event. Thanks to the organizers who pulled it off with seeming ease.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Yes, a very nice, mellow event. Thanks to the organizers who pulled it off with seeming ease.

S.
    How does the civic compare to the MSM around the cones?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    How does the civic compare to the MSM around the cones?
    Well, stock from the factory they both understeer a lot. The MSM is easier to place because you can actually see the hood. It was also more chuckable just because it was smaller. The Si was a lot of fun, however, and having a broader rev range to work with meant less shifting. Turn in was better than I expected too. The Si weighs about 300 lbs more than the MSM and you can feel it, but I think this is going to be a fun season, especially with those sticky tires on their way from the Tire Rack.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast