Thread: Any Chevy mechanics?

Default Any Chevy mechanics?

One of my coworkers just brought up a problem with his 1997 Lumina. Seems the turn signal switch (one of these thingies) has gone out... he took it to a shop, I believe he said Christian Brothers, and they wanted $200 for the part and $300 labor. I told him it was a ripoff and he's asked me to help find someone who can do it cheaper. The cheapest labor he's found would be $250 though

So does anybody here work on Chevys? Or can you at least direct him to a shop that won't ream out his ?

Thanks
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

That sounds abou right for a new dealer only part. They wanted $189 for the turn signal/horn switch on my 1982 Chevy Luv back in 1992. The horn wouldn't work because the brush that rides on the stearing whell had worn down to nothing. Of course the didn't sell the brass brush alone.

Labor, I could see a shop charging that much to remove the steering wheel. Especially with the air bags on the steering wheel, that liability would probably constsute some of the high costs of labor. See if theY factored in an alignment in the cost of repair. Shop rates are $75-$100 now-a-days I guess.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Thing is, I found the part brand new online for $55 for him. And it just doesn't seem like labor would be THAT much...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Thing is, I found the part brand new online for $55 for him. And it just doesn't seem like labor would be THAT much...

Most shops charge around $75/hr. It seems it would be rather involved so I'd guess the labor quotes are pretty close. Now if it were me, I'd buy your part and try to do it myself. CB approved!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Buy the Chilton repair book, rent the steering wheel puller, and go to town. It ain't that hard...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Had a warranty issue on the wife's Chevy and they said it was $300 to pull the column. $250 on the 04 Suburban. This was at the dealership. I asked why and the service writer said it took a lot of work to R/R.

I got a Sawzall
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Most shops charge around $75/hr.
    Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    it was $300 to pull the column. $250 on the 04 Suburban. This was at the dealership. I asked why and the service writer said it took a lot of work to R/R.
    Stealerships have a book detailing how many 'hours' it takes to do a particular job. You get charged for that number regardless if it really takes them that long or not.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Buy the Chilton repair book, rent the steering wheel puller, and go to town.

It ain't that hard...
    Yea what he said! It's not that bad of a job, you just got to take a lot of stuff apart to get to the darn switch assembly!

Ahhhhh. Good old GM quality. When the cruise control on my Suburban started going on and off due to a short in the turn stalk, I decided that was the final straw of my many repair bills on that pile of .

I sold it. Used the money to buy a Miata and kept the change.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Stealerships have a book detailing how many 'hours' it takes to do a particular job. You get charged for that number regardless if it really takes them that long or not.
    Which is why I made a good friend of my VW tech and just showed up at his place for the largest repairs.

Cash payments on the side and no dealer rip-off, ahhh... very nice!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Cash payments on the side and no dealer rip-off, ahhh... very nice!
    No V-Dub....ahhh, even nicer!

He can always use hand signals for awhile

A buddy of mine that is a mechanic told me what all they do when they come up with the amount of time it takes to do a repair. A guy with a stop watch starts the timer when the tech gets the car and doesnt stop the timer until after the tech has done the repair, put up his tools, taken the car for a test drive and parked it outside.... so it isnt just the actual time to take the part on and off. Which to me is prety crappy, but thats how techs make their money..its the actual dealership that is raping the consumer.

Well, the guy isn't exactly a mechanic and he's scared to dig into his car. Anybody here know of any shop that won't tear him a new one?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata