Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flyin' Miata Dinner, 3/1

Glad you made it back safely. It was fun!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I actually tried painting the aly panels BRG but couldn't get the paint to stick - ended up scraping it off which is why the panels look so crappy (still need to polish them up properly) - that's when I changed to the red scheme since I think it looks better against the bare aly. But to paraphrase what Keith said "each to his own" which is the beauty of Locost building.

Thanks for all the hospitality and kind words last Thursday - I had a great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by kartin View Post
    I actually tried painting the aly panels BRG but couldn't get the paint to stick - ended up scraping it off which is why the panels look so crappy (still need to polish them up properly) - that's when I changed to the red scheme since I think it looks better against the bare aly. But to paraphrase what Keith said "each to his own" which is the beauty of Locost building.

Thanks for all the hospitality and kind words last Thursday - I had a great evening!

Great meeting you. Please feel free to join us at our Wednesday night gatherings. We'll be happy to talk Locost as well as Miata. A bunch of us are Locost fans.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miataspeedracer
    That black/CF Locost looks wicked!

And did one of them have a paddle-mounted shifter? Was kind of transmission did it have?

That was the black one. It had a CBR 900 engine and I believe the paddles where running the CBR transmission.
    Hi:

On my car, the engine and the gearbox are cast as one piece. I used to have a hand shifter, but the paddle shifts are much easier. If you looked at the shift mechanism during lighted hours, it would make sense why the paddles are used. Bike gearboxes are pretty cool. To upshift, I very slightly lift off the throttle and it slips into the next gear without using the clutch. Most passengers think I did a full throttle upshift. 0-60 is roughly 4 seconds.

The car weighs 925lbs with fuel and cost me around $8k to build. It was a great learning experience, and I'd love to help out anyone interested in building one of these--miata, bike engine, it doesn't really matter.

Also, thanks for the hospitality. I think I'll start picking up the Wed night meets in a few weeks.

--Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
    I think I'll start picking up the Wed night meets in a few weeks.

--Chris

That would be great, I had a meeting at work that night and missed all the pretty cars
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
    Hi:

0-60 is roughly 4 seconds.

The car weighs 925lbs with fuel and cost me around $8k to build.

--Chris
    I did NOT need to see those numbers...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    I did NOT need to see those numbers...
    Speed... don't worry... he's got MAD skills. It would cost you at least 80k to build.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123