Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbag light FIXED... gauge hood BROKEN!

Default Airbag light FIXED... gauge hood BROKEN!

I decided to take cam's advice and put some heat shrink over my airbag light bulb - and it was the perfect solution! However... y'all weren't kidding when you said the plastic hood over the gauges was brittle and almost impossible to remove without breaking a clip or two. Mine broke in spectacular fashion - leaving ALL THREE clips in the dash, and breaking the hood off in the middle. Luckily, Town North had one in stock, so I'm back whole again... 3 hours and $114 later.

Last edited by trickyrix; 02-26-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: realized that I typed "head shrink" rather than "heat shrink"
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Congrats on the fix.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

and
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

indeed...

And BTW, I tried just pulling the bulb to see how bad the backup squawk was. It's not too loud. Mine made four sets of beeps after I started the car, then went quiet. I'm not sure if it would start back up again while you're driving but if it doesn't, then you could just pull the bulb and live with some extra beeping on startup.

One last thing... I pulled the power to the "key's in the switch" buzzer - what a whip that thing was. Besides, I'd like to think that I'm not so slipped out of gear that I'd lock the car with the key in the switch... only time will tell.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

One last thing... I pulled the power to the "key's in the switch" buzzer - what a whip that thing was.
    I was going to do that mod where you use that "key's in the switch" buzzer for a "hey stupid, you left your lights on" buzzer in conjunction with some daytime running lights.

How about a "hey stupid, they're DAYTIME running lights, you still have to turn your lights on at NIGHT" buzzer?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

And BTW, I tried just pulling the bulb to see how bad the backup squawk was. It's not too loud. Mine made four sets of beeps after I started the car, then went quiet. I'm not sure if it would start back up again while you're driving but if it doesn't, then you could just pull the bulb and live with some extra beeping on startup.
    It does beep while driving. Very annoying.
    ...and across the line.

How about a "hey stupid, they're DAYTIME running lights, you still have to turn your lights on at NIGHT" buzzer?
    heh, too many buzzers!

Hehe... remember the 80's? "Your Door is ajar, Your Door is ajar, Your Door is ajar".

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hehe... remember the 80's? "Your Door is ajar, Your Door is ajar, Your Door is ajar".
    No, my door is a door. The jar has jam in it.

Or the southern redneck version.."Bo, yer door ain't shut good"

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

indeed...

One last thing... I pulled the power to the "key's in the switch" buzzer - what a whip that thing was. Besides, I'd like to think that I'm not so slipped out of gear that I'd lock the car with the key in the switch... only time will tell.

Hey can you give any details about how to do that. My drivers door was damaged before I got the car ( most likely due to the car rolling in a garage and the open door getting caught on the door frame, someone didn't set the parking brake!). Anyway the door is twisted and sprun, and being a member of TCB I haven't let go of the $100.00 that a replacement door would cost. I think that this sounds like a very do-able mod that would save me a lot of headaches ( image riding 30miles each way to work and back with the buzer sounding the whole time!)

Thanks for the help.

That, and the Viper car alarm... "PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!"
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    Hey can you give any details about how to do that. My drivers door was damaged before I got the car ( most likely due to the car rolling in a garage and the open door getting caught on the door frame, someone didn't set the parking brake!). Anyway the door is twisted and sprun, and being a member of TCB I haven't let go of the $100.00 that a replacement door would cost. I think that this sounds like a very do-able mod that would save me a lot of headaches ( image riding 30miles each way to work and back with the buzer sounding the whole time!)

Thanks for the help.
    It's a pretty easy fix... take off the metal shield under the steering column - it's held in by 2 screws and a couple of clips (that WON'T break). Once that's off, you should be able to locate the offending buzzer up under the dash. It's not a speaker, but a black box that looks like a big relay, and the plug has about 4 wires coming out of it. I could actually feel it vibrating, so I knew I had the right one. Yank the plug out and you're good to go.

Hope that helps!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

It's a pretty easy fix... take off the metal shield under the steering column - it's held in by 2 screws and a couple of clips (that WON'T break). Once that's off, you should be able to locate the offending buzzer up under the dash. It's not a speaker, but a black box that looks like a big relay, and the plug has about 4 wires coming out of it. I could actually feel it vibrating, so I knew I had the right one. Yank the plug out and you're good to go.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks,
    I will take a look when I get home today. Thanks to your description I don't think I should have no trouble identifying the buzer. I will post how it turned out.

It's a pretty easy fix... take off the metal shield under the steering column - it's held in by 2 screws and a couple of clips (that WON'T break).
    Yes they will. That's why I had to do this.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Either way - it easy to shut it up.

1) with the thing buzzing, just look under the dash and you'll see stuff in the general area of the buzzing
    2) reach up and put your hand on things 'til you figure out which one is the buzzer
    3) unplug it
    4) have a beer, you earned it!

If you're so inclined, you can look at the board for ways to mod it. The one I'll do when I get around to it is to make the buzzer a "lights are on" buzzer.

Before some wise- comments about how obvious the barn doors are... I sometimes run just the parking lights when it's not truly dark. You can forget those...

Craig
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    If you're so inclined, you can look at the board for ways to mod it. The one I'll do when I get around to it is to make the buzzer a "lights are on" buzzer.

Before some wise- comments about how obvious the barn doors are... I sometimes run just the parking lights when it's not truly dark. You can forget those...
    Very true... but I love the Sound of Silence when I'm working in the car with the key on... I can actually hear the radio!

'94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post

Craig
    Or you can get the appropriate electrical connectors and splice the red w/green stripe wire of the front turn signal/parking lamps up front and wire them to the blue power supply next to the diagnostic module in lue of purchasing the Dealer part for daytime running lamps at $90 or whatever insaine price. Takes about 5 minutes and a couple worth of wire and 3 electical connectors.
    Last edited by icepenguin66; 02-27-2007 at 07:39 PM.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast