Thread: Throttlebody Coolant Bypass

Default Throttlebody Coolant Bypass

Saw This over at mazda-speed.com and didn't know if anyone here has done this to their FI car?

This is a simple little mod that you can do to help keep your intake charge a bit cooler. There are 2 hoses coming to the throttlebody, coolant is circulated through the casing of the Tbody to keep it from freezing up. The problem is, that unless you live in like Fargo, thats never going to happen. 4 years of the time I lived in Boston I and most of my friends had this mod done, and no one ever had the tbody freeze up. So dont sweat it. How effective is this mod? Well i wouldnt look for some big gains on the dyno, but every little bit helps. Even if it keeps the air charge a HAIR cooler, that will raise the detonation threshhold a HAIR higher, and you will possibly get a hair more timing, in addition to the fact that its now a tiny bit denser air charge. Every little bit helps right?

In any case
    Run to Home Depot. Go to the plumbing section where they have all the brass fittings. You are looking for this little straight through coupler, it is about 3 inches long, with barbs on both ends (its used to join hoses), you will want that, and a pair of small hose clamps. Pic the smallest they have there, as they are going onto a 3/8th hose.
    Ok so open your hood and look at the tbody. On the left side you will see a 3/8th hose coming straight up into a tube fitting, with a spring clamp. You will remove this spring clamp and give the line a tug. You may have to crack the line loose if it sticks, just grab it loosely with pliers and give it a twist. You will want a rag down there to catch the small amount of coolant that will spill out.

Next, get a 10mm socket and loosen the clamp that holds the tbody inlet hose on, and pull it back about an inch from the tbody and look down. You will see another hose just like the one you removed on the side with the same kind of clamp. If you use needlenose pliers you can go straight down between the inlet hose and the tbody to loosen and push the clamp down. Then use a screwdriver to gently push down on the edge of the hose to slide it off the pipe.

Ok now, take that coupler, and shove both ends of the hoses onto it, and clamp it up.
    Reinstall the tbody inlet pipe, tighten the clamp and you are good to go.

http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4737.0
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I am guessing that the amount of time the air spends in the throttle body doesnt allow it to heat up very much. And considering that 10 degrees of air temp is about 1 hp. I dont see this making a 1 degree difference.

Racers have been known to use a ball bearing...........