Thread: Play in rear wheel/hub

Default Play in rear wheel/hub

Yesterday at the AX practice, they checked for play in my wheel hubs/bearings. They found that the right rear wheel had some play and I verified it myself. I could feel it click back and forth. Later, I tried it again and it was tight. Oddly enough, this happened at AX school tech inspection last year, too, but then it also went away. Anyway, any ideas on what this is and what I need to do to fix it? New axle/hub assembly?

My '92 would only make the click noise if the parking brake was set, but a dial indicator showed no excessive play. YMMV

jrj512 you may olny need to torque the nut on the spindle. The play my be going away because of the metal expanding due to heat.

Robert

and your certain its the hub rather than ball joint? (just for clarification's sake)

Anywho assuming it is the Hub/bearing, recheck the torque on the spindle nut. (as robert stated)

Supermiataman, please help us find the ball joint in the rear suspension.

yeah, brain fart...was thinking upper ball joint...but there's not one.

Banned

O.K.Seems to be working now,jrj512Look at a-arm bushings as well as these have been know to strip at flanges due to there shape. Doubt if it is bearing since there are fairly beefy sealed units and would make some noise if going out. Spindle nut is best bet.

oh and good way to check bearing is to jack car up, put in Neutral (or not in gear). and spin the wheel w/ one hand, while touching the apring w/ the other hand...you'll be able to feel the vibrations, etc if the bearing is going out.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supermiataman View Post
    oh and good way to check bearing is to jack car up, put in Neutral (or not in gear). and spin the wheel w/ one hand, while touching the apring w/ the other hand...you'll be able to feel the vibrations, etc if the bearing is going out.
    Now that we've solved the balljoint issue, maybe we can work on locating the apring w/ the other hand

Somebody order the man a magnet!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

sorry I don't proof read my posts. since s and a are right next to each other, and I'm on a tiny ass laptop, I guess you can live w/ it.
    apring= spring.

not sure what a cat magnet is, but I'm sure its better off I don't.

Thanks for the help, fellas. I'll try to get my nut torqued this weekend. Hopefully it's just that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I'll try to get my nut torqued this weekend.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post

Waahhaaaa, made me laugh
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Thanks for the help, fellas. I'll try to get my nut torqued this weekend. Hopefully it's just that easy.
    I don't know Fort Worth very well, but I'm pretty sure you can get that done on 6th Street in Austin.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 03-20-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

One more thing. If memory serves me, I think the nut on the Hondas when I replaced the axles rotated backwards -- that is, clockwise to loosen and counter-clockwise to tighten. Does anyone know if I should expect this on my Miata?

Banned

HMMM... if I can remember from doing my '61 PU. It seems like it would, being that the rotation of wheel would then not loosen. However, on my trailer axles they are lefty loosy righty tighty. So, I am no help and eager to find out from others who would know.

I know everyone has been dying for an update on this, so...

POS Racing took a look at this last night and thinks it is my bearings. I called a place near my house on Hwy 10 and Precinct Line that specializes in this stuff and he should be able to take my old bearing assembly, replace the seals and bearings, press it back together, and get it back in a day for about $70.00. I will remove it sometime during the week next week and have him fix it. I doubt it is that hard to remove it and I can probably find all kinds of instructions once I look.

Again, thanks everyone for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Banned

Yep, too bad they are hidden in the assembly because they look so beefy and cool compared to the old ball bearing types with inners and outers for our prehistoric trucks.

I know everyone has been dying for an update on this, so...

POS Racing took a look at this last night and thinks it is my bearings. I called a place near my house on Hwy 10 and Precinct Line that specializes in this stuff and he should be able to take my old bearing assembly, replace the seals and bearings, press it back together, and get it back in a day for about $70.00. I will remove it sometime during the week next week and have him fix it. I doubt it is that hard to remove it and I can probably find all kinds of instructions once I look.

Again, thanks everyone for your help on this. I really appreciate it.
    The guy on Hwy 10??