Thread: stroker kit for a 93?

Default stroker kit for a 93?

Does anyone know of a stroker kit for the 1.6 miata's, who makes it, the specs, or even better someone who has it? I still dont know if I wanna boost or spray even though im sure 99% of the board members will say boost. And just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on the hard top? Would it provide any more protection in the event of a roll over than the standard convertable top? Let me know what yall think

If you are wanting to do that it is cheaper to do a 1.8 swap due to the fact that the strokers bump them up to 1.8s.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

TODA Racing made one at one time, but I don't see it listed on their site anymore. As Jamie says, if you want to do it, go with a 1.8. Stroker kits will run you big bucks. If you want to go all out, have FM build you a stroked 1.8.

Stroking an engine is usually limited to about a 10% increase in displacement. Rule of Thumb is 10% increase in displacement equals 10% gain in horsepower. The only reason you should consider stroking a small displacement engine is if you have racing limitations and this is the ONLY way you can increase your power level.

If you had a 400 HP V8 and increased displacement 10% you would get about a nice 40 HP gain. But think about a 1.8 that has increased 10% to a 2.0 and again a 10% increase of a 108 HP is only about 10 HP gain. FI is till the best bang for the buck.

Better yet, leave the engine along and put your money into the suspension. We would be glad to help.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Does anyone know of a stroker kit for the 1.6 miata's, who makes it, the specs, or even better someone who has it? I still dont know if I wanna boost or spray even though im sure 99% of the board members will say boost. And just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on the hard top? Would it provide any more protection in the event of a roll over than the standard convertable top? Let me know what yall think
    I dont think there would be a super gain by going to the 1.8 stroker unless you spent mega bucks.
    Turbo would be better than nos cause its always on, no bottles to refill !
    the hard top is a great addition, and im sure that the fiberglass will add "a bit" more protection in the event of a rollover. a rollbar would be a better option and cheaper.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Could the 1.8 swap be from a '99? Or would it have to be from another NA?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Could the 1.8 swap be from a '99? Or would it have to be from another NA?
    Either one. It doesn't get really tricky unless the engine is from a '01+. Good info HERE.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Either one. It doesn't get really tricky unless the engine is from a '01+. Good info HERE.
    Dang Titus, 1500 referral to Flyin Miata and you get a FREE Westie? Or, do you just own their stock?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    And just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on the hard top? Would it provide any more protection in the event of a roll over than the standard convertable top? Let me know what yall think
    They make this thingies called "rollbar" lol...
    look into those if you're worried about flipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    the hard top is a great addition, and im sure that the fiberglass will add "a bit" more protection in the event of a rollover.
    Maybe if more layers were applied to the top it would add some protection
    but for the way that they are built, standing on them would be enough to brake them... besides, mass produced fiberglass doesn't always get all the matt resined as it would if it were hand layed.
    Last edited by Mouglie; 03-16-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Dang Titus, 1500 referral to Flyin Miata and you get a FREE Westie? Or, do you just own their stock?
    What can I say, FM as well as TDR are fine companies that have earned a lot of my dollars and will likely continue to for along time. They have designed countless fantastic products for our little cars, and also provide us with a wealth of information free of charge.

Gary,

You have a PM.

SA

Banned

I agree with Titus. I was just looking at TDR's system from Jackson. Supercharged of course. You can be surprised about 1.6's torque pulls. I've ridden many CR 125's two strokes and compare to it that. All or nothing and they just want to keep going. Your flywheel and clutch are sought after for some 1.8 guys because of less inertia or something. For the price of a stroker and shop time expenses (unless you do it) you can have a supercharge without even removing the valve cover.