Thread: soft top rip

Default soft top rip

Anyone know of a good place to go to get a rip repaired? it's just a small hole and today i noticed it actually goes all the way through the top and i can see light through it.

Banned

Well depending on what you want the final result to look like, you can sew it. Which I have done for the seems. I used original needle holes so actually cant't be seen except for thread color change. Or you can snip up a knee patch iron-on to about a quarter larger than the hole. Use a lighter and bent spoon as an iron and good heat control. I have problem holes now that are showing up about the size of head of pin due to frame rubbing when top is down. Hope this helps.

Banned

Sorry, forgot the most important part. Use the iron-on from inside the top, so can't be seen except by you. Also, have used vinyl top repair kits in the past. They suck if the hole is too big (say from someone flipping a cigarette onto your top) But with patience, can be done with fine result as well. The resin does want to curl up at edges over time.

all right i'll try the knee patch. the hole is pretty small but it just bugs me when i see a tiny little spec of light when i turn around.

Whatever you do, do it quick. Rips get bigger and harder to repair if you let them go, especially if they're at a stress point.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Sammm helped me fix a small rip in mine. We used a patch on the inside and a cloth glue to attatch it.

Banned

Yeah and its amazing how the rain knows exactly where that little bugger is and hits you directly in the ear. Kinda like the "magic bullet". But patching is the way to go, unless you want to make a tech day with full top replacement.

These guys do nice work!

Benny & James Auto Trim Inc
    1108 Westpark Way
    Euless, TX 76040-6350

Tel: (817) 267-7801