Thread: powder coating

Default powder coating

does anyone know of a good powercoater around here? when i worked at italian motorsports we used to use one that was great but they closed and i havent wanted to powdercoat anything since then. im thinking of building an extra mr2 engine, and i want it to look nice. and if you do know of a good one can they coat pistons?

Banned

Hmmm, good question. But do you really want to store more heat in the engine by powder coating? I'm sure you can coat anything that can be statically charged, but remember to allow for clearances due to coating thicknesses. Powder coating is great for anything that does not produce heat.

theres a special coating for piston skirts and the top of them that ive read in multiple places adds power. the coatings ive read about are applied in thicknesses of microns, so i dont think its that thick.

Check out Swain Tech. I know they aren't local (NJ), but I know a few people that have had pistons coated by them.

On a side note, were you originally asking for a powder coating (paint)?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

i was asking for both really. ill want to powder coat (paint) a few things that i have, and do engine parts also
    informative link
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...s_review_tech/

Have you tried Paul's Powdercoating?
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Yes,

There is a coating for airplane cylinders called cermachrome, a ceramic embeded chrome plate, but I believe they had issues about 10 years ago with the ceramic flaking off. Also a lot of the cylinders in aircraft engines are chrome plated. This is not a shiny chrome like on a bumper, but a porous chrome that allows the oil to coat the cylinder walls better. The piston rings on a chrome plated clinder should be cast iron, versus a chrome ring used on a non-chromed cylinder.

All of my information is from the early through the late 90's, so I could be way off by mow since I have been working on industrial maintenance since 1999.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Banned

I see, thought you wanted to powder the pistons. For one, why and you can't even see the beautiful results. Yes, there are a few good coatings out there, especially for built motors. Don't know of any specialtys here in this area though.

Did a search and found:www.engineceramics.com

They are out of Dallas.

Swain Tech is internationally known. Dupont also makes thermal coatings.
    My dad rebuilt the engine on my uncles old Kawasaki motorcycle. After he sandblasted and cleaned it, he used a high temperature ceramic paint specifically for engines that was purchased from Vatozone.

+1 for Paul's Powdercoating!

You get great customer service from a small operation, and the finished products look great, imho. Paul will go out of his way to accommodate special requests, too, should his normal routine/equipment not quite fit your needs (ceramic coating for interior of exhaust parts in my case).

FWIW, I will in the future be choosing Paul's work over that of what appears to be post-Katrina slacking and general "who gives a " attitude over at Jet Hot. PM for details of Jet Hot shenanigans if you're interested...
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Default paul's

Another vote for Paul's.
    He did a few of my Vette parts and they are outstanding.
    Friendly guy also. Great to deal with. he even mailed me a part when I couldn't get over there to pick it up.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

FWIW,

At the last Autorama show, there were three booths set up that did powdercoating. I talked to them all, but one stood out. Powdercoat Connection in Prosper, Tx. @ 972-347-1102

I spoke with "Andy" regarding my needs (translucent pc) and he quoted me:

miata valve cover: $30-$40
    wheels: $100- $125 ea.

No connection. Never did use them, as I found someone local (gainesville).

Sounds like Paul is getting props here though, so they may be a better proven choice.

I just added this to reflect cost. My local guys prices were in line with the above quotes...
    SA

Check out Enduro they do great work at resonable prices.

Enduro Powder & Performance
    1210 W Scyene Rd
    Mesquite, TX 75149

(972) 288-3570

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...Bp3OqwKp8dX_DA
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Have you tried Paul's Powdercoating?
    crap that website doesnt work...

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    Have you tried At the last Autorama show, there were three booths set up that did powdercoating. I talked to them all, but one stood out. Powdercoat Connection in Prosper, Tx. @ 972-347-1102
    Thier new number is 972 635 6010
    and theyre in royse city now

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Did a search and found:www.engineceramics.com

They are out of Dallas.
    I've used this guy to have my pal's Europa header and exhaust ceramic coated. The first job was very poor coverage and flaked off after it was run on the engine. He fixed it for free except the header was in Houston and he was in Dallas and wouldn't pay for shipping. The fixed coating was the wrong color, shiny in some spots and rough in others, and didn't completely cover the flange.

His pricing is marginally cheaper than the competition, but the quality was poor.