Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mew Miata owner, looking for performance improvement

the more reading you do the more you will understand what it means.
    Check out some of the sites and read the product descriptions, that
    will help you decide what it is that you want to upgrade first.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by eluxton View Post
    You guys are talking over my head with all of these acronyms....
    TDR= TrackDog Racing. It's a company that specializes in miata supercharging solutions.
    A/A IC= air-to-air intercooler. TDR (see above) makes the one to beat.
    M45= a particular supercharger that is common for miata kits.
    FUT= F YOU TITUS!
    NA= 1st gen. miata
    NB= 2nd gen. miata
    NC= you guessed it, the new ones.
    MS= Mazda Speed. Factory performance parts
    FM= Flyin' Miata. It is like TDR, but for turbos

If you want a ride in a miata with any combination of upgrades, come to the wednesday night GTG (get-together). 99% of the time, there are supercharged, turbocharged, and naturally aspirated cars on any given night.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    FUT= F YOU TITUS!
    NA= 1st gen. miata
    NB= 2nd gen. miata
    NC= you guessed it, the new ones.
    MS= Mazda Speed. Factory performance parts
    FM= Flyin' Miata. It is like TDR, but for turbos
    NA = also for Naturally Aspirated (non-turbo) or not boosted
    to word it better...

lol..@ FUT...
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Get your car sorted (alignment, upgraded suspension, better brake pads, etc.) before adding power. Plus, I'm a firm believer that a proper 4-point roll bar is one the best ugrades for a Miata. Then, if you have mad money left over, look at a supercharger or a turbo.

Gary at TDR can design a package and upgrade path for you.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Oil Changer

Default Roll bar

I agree, particularly about the roll bar. I have been researching different bars available. In fact I spoke to Gary at TDR this morning.
    Ernie

Oil Changer

I will definitely try to come out to one of the gatherings in Plano in the next month or so. I am booked solid for the next 3 weeks though. I appreciate the offers to let me check out some of your cars.

It seems that there are two opinions for increasing hp. Supercharging vs. turbocharging. I understand the fundamentals (turbo is driven by exhaust gases while superchargers are driven off the crankshaft in some fashion). Beyond that, I don't know much.

I am guessing that in this group, there are some solid opinions regarding pros and cons of these systems, not to mention the different kits available for each. I would love to hear your thoughts.....
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by eluxton View Post
    Supercharging vs. turbocharging. ...there are some solid opinions regarding pros and cons of these systems, not to mention the different kits available for each. I would love to hear your thoughts.....

This argument is almost as polarized as what's the best Miata color, (it's black) or what's best, a NA, NB or NC Miata. (the NA is the best)

The short answer is it depends. It depends on what your expectations are. Superchargers have more linear power but also have more limited over all HP potential. (not that 180-250 hp is limited IMHO) Turbo's power tends to kick in but you can get insane ammounts of power potentially.

The naysayers of each will say Superchargers are parasitic and rob you of HP since the motor drives the unit where as the turbo uses spent exhaust gases to drive the unit. On the other side of the coin, Turbos generate more heat.

There may be some truth to all of this but I don't think it's a major issue on any properly designed system.

As for who and what, that may be the simpliest part to answer.

You need vendors with the best known support. This is really important for trouble shooting since almost any aftermarket FI will generate questions.

Turbos - Flyin' Miata
    Superchargers - Trackdog Racing
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Banned

Also remember what the car will be used for MOST. If its tooling around for fun and some excitiement, go w/ turbo. Its for pure race go w/ supercharger. Heat is a big enemy when comes to smaller displacements.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

The naysayers of each will say Superchargers are parasitic and rob you of HP since the motor drives the unit
    I always thought superchargers added power. It sure is an expensive way to go slower!
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    I always thought superchargers added power. It sure is an expensive way to go slower!
    Actually, the main benefit of adding a supercharger is that you get an additional 25 lbs. of weight over the front wheels. Really helps the Miata feel more like the Civic it always should have been.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Actually, the main benefit of adding a supercharger is that you get an additional 25 lbs. of weight over the front wheels. Really helps the Miata feel more like the Civic it always should have been.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post

+1
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

i think the best paint for a miata would be a two tone... black and white!!! FTW!

If you want to deal with some one that has 30 years experience in turbo charging contact BEGi in San Antonio................also for maxium power (and life) there is no question that turbos are the way to go. Reanult was getting 900 to 1000 HP out of there turbo motors in Fi back in the 80's and I believe the rules limited displacement to 1300CC............

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    If you want to deal with some one that has 30 years experience in turbo charging contact BEGi in San Antonio................also for maxium power (and life) there is no question that turbos are the way to go. Reanult was getting 900 to 1000 HP out of there turbo motors in Fi back in the 80's and I believe the rules limited displacement to 1300CC............
    Did you mean F1? How about 1500 HP for qualifying from 1.5L. Not exactly streetable, or TCB approved.

My favorite F1 engine is the 1965 Coventry Climax 1.5 litre Flat-16 2.13" bore x 1.60" stroke 220/225 bhp @ 12,000 rpm 2 valve/cyl....... 90 cubic inches/ 16 cylinders = 4.75 ci/cyl. But this engine was never raced.

Formula 1 engine history
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

you are correct sir............F1 it is. 900 to 1000hp was in race trim if I remember correctly, 1300 to 1500 in qualifying. And this was with 1980's technology, imagine what could be done today.

I think it depends on what he is looking for, if he autocrosses a lot he might want something like irtb's for the throttle response. Not as much power as forced induction but better response which helps a lot down low.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12