Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck issues

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Come to think of it, I recall Gary having a similar issue with his wife's SUV. It turned out to be the fuel pump.
    I hope that's all it is. There is a huge problem with early versions of the engine (like mine) having the hydrolock issue because of bad gaskets. After I pull all the plugs today I'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    The fuel pump will make some noise when it is running. Can ya here any noise when the key is on?? Have ya disconnected a fuel line and seen if it pisses gas on your shoe, which is also a good indicator if it is working or if it is dead.

Quit looking for the worst case example on the Internet until ya clear out the simple stuff.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    The fuel pump will make some noise when it is running. Can ya here any noise when the key is on??
    Silencio, but don't know if I ever heard the pump.

Have ya disconnected a fuel line and seen if it pisses gas on your shoe
    No.

Quit looking for the worst case example on the Internet until ya clear out the simple stuff.
    You're not the boss of me.

I thought that generally hydrolocked engines wouldn't turn...

For real fun, split the fuel line right after the pump while driving on hwy 75! Woot! Got lots of friendly waves from the people behind me!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Like I said in another post - Hot Pockets will get you all the help you can handle.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Like I said in another post - Hot Pockets will get you all the help you can handle.
    For future reference, which one is your favorite? For a morning tech day, would a breakfast Hot Pocket be more appropriate?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hot Pockets will get you all the help you can handle.
    Pick some up on your way over.

Hot Pockets will get you all the help you can handle.
    HOT POCKETS!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Did you check the MAF sensor?
    Blah blah blah!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Did you check the MAF sensor?
    No I didn't. Any write-ups anywhere on how to?

I'll try to find the article on how to test it. It involves using a volt meter.

I found this about the F-150 says you should clean your MAF sensor every 6 months and especially after changing the air filter.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Also I found this it has some troubleshooting information. It also indicates that you should clean the MAF sensor.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/maftest.htm
    Last edited by MiataMike; 04-02-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Blah blah blah!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Pulled all the plugs, no antifreeze on any of them (that's a very good thing!). POS delivered fresh plugs and throttle-body cleaner (thank you very much). Put it all back together and truck will start but won't stay running.

Zero noise from fuel pump. Can hear/feel fuel pump relay clicking. We're leaning towards a bad fuel pump at this point. Anyone know a good way to test one? It's in the tank BTW and the tank would have to be dropped to change it.

Zero noise from fuel pump. Can hear/feel fuel pump relay clicking. We're leaning towards a bad fuel pump at this point. Anyone know a good way to test one? It's in the tank BTW and the tank would have to be dropped to change it.
    I'm thinking a hose and a jar... with the relay engaged it should pump a good stream into the jar...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I'm thinking a hose and a jar... with the relay engaged it should pump a good stream into the jar...
    You lost me. Put a hose on what?

You lost me. Put a hose on what?
    The output of side of the fuel filter? Any old where, really... Just open up the fuel line, and see if fuel squirts out.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

On the fuel line you should inside of the engine bay you should see a valve. It looks like the kind of valve that you put air in your tires, it will have a cap on it and is on the fuel line before it gets to the manifold. You can push that in and turn the car key on. Gas should spew out of that area since there will be no pressure in the lines the fuel pressure regulator won't turn the fuel pump off. At least thats the lesson I learned from my friends moms Taurus and from what I remember being told that all fords have that there.

We had to do that after my friend Jasons mom decided to take what she though was gas from her daughters lawnmower. Somehow it was full of water and the car wouldn't run atleast not very well. So we had the fun task of draining the tank and fuel lines. Hurray for moms!
    Blah blah blah!

On the fuel line you should inside of the engine bay you should see a valve. It looks like the kind of valve that you put air in your tires, it will have a cap on it and is on the fuel line before it gets to the manifold. You can push that in and turn the car key on. Gas should spew out of that area since there will be no pressure in the lines the fuel pressure regulator won't turn the fuel pump off. At least thats the lesson I learned from my friends moms Taurus and from what I remember being told that all fords have that there.
    Even easier than hooking up a hose and running it into a jar. Make sure someone is nearby with a lit cigarette, though.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    The output of side of the fuel filter? Any old where, really... Just open up the fuel line, and see if fuel squirts out.
    We were trying that, but my cheesy plastic fuel-line tool sucks. I need to invest in a metal one.

On the fuel line you should inside of the engine bay you should see a valve.
    I know what valve you're talking about. I'll give that a shot.

We were trying that, but my cheesy plastic fuel-line tool sucks. I need to invest in a metal one.
    I still say it's better than having the fuel line gnome crawl under your hood and slit your fuel line while you're driving 70 mph on Central...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I know what valve you're talking about. I'll give that a shot.
    Pushed in valve stem while cranking and nada. Dry as a bone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast