Thread: 30,000 Mile Check Up

Question 30,000 Mile Check Up

It's time for the 30,000 mile maintenance. Where should I go? CarMax where I bought the car, a Mazda dealer, or a local auto shop?

CarMax makes sense, I have an extended warranty through them and repairs are covered. Yes, the maintenance items will cost some money but I'm concerned about what they may find "needs work." I'm not expecting a 4 year old car to be free from needed repairs.

A Mazda dealer seems reasonable too. I have no idea what level of service and upkeep the previous owner did. Heck, there may be recalls or service bulletins to be attended to. Would it be worthwhile letting them take up the 30,000 checkup?

Or should I just stick with an independent service shop - someone not beholding to a corporate mandate to maximize income and minimize covered expenses.

Opinions please!
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What's scheduled at 30K? Fluids? Put out some feelers for hosting a Tech Day and get it done for the cost of parts, drinks and maybe pizza.

If you want to take it somewhere, contact Stevan (Rogue on the forum).

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Or should I just stick with an independent service shop - someone not beholding to a corporate mandate to maximize income and minimize covered expenses.

Opinions please!
    Bingo!! Look up MiataSolutions. He goes by Rogue on this board. He'll take good care of your vehicle.

Originally Posted by randy7601

Opinions please!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Bingo!! Look up MiataSolutions. He goes by Rogue on this board. He'll take good care of your vehicle.
    Agreed. My rides only go to the stealership for warranty work. After that, it's independent all the way. Do your research, pay due diligence, and use resources like this one to make your decision.

My miata in in the hands of Gary at Trackdog as I write this. I simply do not have the time (much less the skill) to do what I want to do with the car, and after researching my options, felt Gary was the man to trust my miata to.

Gary has encountered "numerous" challenges in the cars tranformation progress. What we expected to be a 2 day job has turned into "much" more.

I expect it with a 17 year old car. Gary has called me with daily updates, keeping me up to date on progress and works with me regarding options on how to proceed.

Gary works with me on parts "I" supply, understands what I am trying to achieve, and works closely to meet my needs and requirements.

Dealership = less communication/flexibility + more money + unpredictable results.

I can't wait for my OTM to be out of warranty. Don't even get me started on the last warranty "service" joke that happened to me less than 3 weeks ago.

Bad times, bad times....
    SA

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What's scheduled at 30K? Fluids? Put out some feelers for hosting a Tech Day and get it done for the cost of parts, drinks and maybe pizza.
    Throw in some Hot Pockets, and you'll have more help than you can handle
    Last edited by onething; 04-01-2007 at 05:23 PM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post

Throw in some Hot Pockets, and you'll have more help than you can handle

Hot Pocket!!!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

So what all does Mazda recommend for the 30,000 mile service??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So what all does Mazda recommend for the 30,000 mile service??
    This is what I found:

According to the Maintenance Schedule, "inspect, with repair, clean, adjust, or replace if necessary" includes: drive belts (tension), engine oil, engine oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, cooling system, fuel lines and hoses, idle speed, brake lines/hoses/connections, brake and cluch fluid level, disk brakes, tire inflation pressure and tire wear, steering operation and linkages, power steering fluid level, front suspension ball joints, drive shaft dust boots, bolts and nuts on chassis and body, exhaust system heat shields, all locks and hinges, air conditioning refrigerant and compressor, drive belts (tension), manual transmission oil, rear differential oil, drive shaft boots and washer fluid level.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    This is what I found:

According to the Maintenance Schedule, "inspect, with repair, clean, adjust, or replace if necessary" includes: drive belts (tension), engine oil, engine oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, cooling system, fuel lines and hoses, idle speed, brake lines/hoses/connections, brake and cluch fluid level, disk brakes, tire inflation pressure and tire wear, steering operation and linkages, power steering fluid level, front suspension ball joints, drive shaft dust boots, bolts and nuts on chassis and body, exhaust system heat shields, all locks and hinges, air conditioning refrigerant and compressor, drive belts (tension), manual transmission oil, rear differential oil, drive shaft boots and washer fluid level.
    Looks like a bunch of inspections!

Hell put some spark plugs in it and new air filter & call it good!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Hell put some spark plugs in it and new air filter & call it good!
    +1 ... maybe a set of plug wires for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    +1 ... maybe a set of plug wires for good measure.
    Not as important on the cool VVT cars, yo!

I replaced the 2 wires on the '02 and other than my wallet being lighter I noticed no other difference. But it did like the new spark plugs!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

IIRC - we did all that on mine at a Tech Day plus flush the tranny, diff and brakes

I'm tellin you, Hot Pockets will get it done
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region