Thread: Pressure buildup in differential

Default Pressure buildup in differential

I've been noticing a small oil spot in the driveway recently; turns out it's coming from the differential. I did change the fluid a couple of months ago but this just started. This morning, while it was still cold, I pulled the fill plug and it spewed out air and oil.

It drained some oil out, and I replaced the plug. So, what made the pressure buildup? Too much fluid from when I changed it out? It's not heat, cause the Miata had been parked a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I've been noticing a small oil spot in the driveway recently; turns out it's coming from the differential. I did change the fluid a couple of months ago but this just started. This morning, while it was still cold, I pulled the fill plug and it spewed out air and oil.

It drained some oil out, and I replaced the plug. So, what made the pressure buildup? Too much fluid from when I changed it out? It's not heat, cause the Miata had been parked a couple of days.
    Were you parked on level ground (both when you filled it and when you checked it)?

As level as possible on my driveway, which is downhill and sideways. Really sucks for working on a vehicle.

As level as possible on my driveway, which is downhill and sideways. Really sucks for working on a vehicle.
    Any chance you backed up it when you filled it, but not when you checked it?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post

damn...I thought the Meat Shield posted this jibberish
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    You're asking me if I filled it up on a different incline angle versus the one I checked it on today? (I think?)

It was on the same spot, besides it has been leaking no matter what angle I've had it parked on.

Actually, it started right after the road trip to Mad Merv's in Granbury.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the diff. filler plug? I can't remember.

There should be a pressure breather vent in the housing somewhere... It's probably clogged. Sorry to be vague, but I've never actually seen it.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    There should be a pressure breather vent in the housing somewhere... It's probably clogged. Sorry to be vague, but I've never actually seen it.
    Not that you say that, isn't there a breather cap on top of the diff?

Most cars have pressure equalizing vents in the tops of the diffs and transmissions. If there is a temperature change, or barometric pressure change, the pressure in the gear housings will need to have vents to stay equalized. Check for clogged vents. The recent rain, followed by heat, will cause atmospheric pressure to change. It can possibly force fluid past the seals, and will surely cause the spewing that you experienced when you pulled the fill plug.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Where is it leaking from??

Front Seal?? Side seals?? Drain Plugs?? Breather on the top of the Diff??

The breather is just north of the fill plug, see the little cap deal in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Where is it leaking from??

Front Seal?? Side seals?? Drain Plugs?? Breather on the top of the Diff??
    Leaking from the fill plug. Thanks for the pic, I'll check out the breather and see if there are any issues there. Would I be looking for a buildup of crud blocking it?

Talking

Would I be looking for a buildup of crud blocking it?
    Nah more than likely you'll see Lawn Gnomes they love to plug breather caps on Miatas, do a serch on Miata.net it's well documented!

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Nah more than likely you'll see Lawn Gnomes they love to plug breather caps on Miatas, do a serch on Miata.net it's well documented!

Hey I have some of those in my front yard. I just leave food and beer out for them and they leave my Miata alone!
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!