Thread: Termite control?

Exclamation Termite control?

Has anyone ever dealt with termites?

Our quarterly inspection has turned up termites, and now I'm being told that they're under the house. I did the trench thing two years ago for exterior control, but apparently a couple of them got past the goalie.

The process was described to me as follows: make a hole in the interior wall, and then drill through the foundation and lay termicide in! Is this correct?

Is this DIY? Or should I cough up the dough for the Terminix folks to do the work? I've got a good deal with them now for whole house protection but hell if I know if this fella is wanting to upcharge extra for "undercoating".

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd leave termites to the pro's. They have access to much stronger chemicals than you/I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'd leave termites to the pro's. They have access to much stronger chemicals than you/I could get.
    +1. We used Terminix when we found a colony in the tie wall at the old house. They treated it, and we never saw termites again. Plus, they offer a lifetime, transferable guarantee.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Has anyone ever dealt with termites?

Is this DIY? Or should I cough up the dough for the Terminix folks to do the work? I've got a good deal with them now for whole house protection but hell if I know if this fella is wanting to upcharge extra for "undercoating".
    It is not a DIY task. Relax, your house will not fall down tomorrow. You are in control of the situation and you don't have to use the same company that does your quarterly service.

Get two other bids if you are looking at over $300. There are many options and different companies offer different solution to the problem. I am not saying $300 is the target price.

Two other companies with respected names in the industry.
    http://www.myers-services.com/termite_services/

http://www.abcpest.com/dallas/pest/index.shtml

Sorry I don't service anywhere near the Frisco area.

Yeah... don't panic yet... I had termites get in to my chimney several years ago via the outside of the house. it's a bit of a pain, but definately not terminal (except for the termites). Luckily, we have the kind of termites here in North Texas that are pretty easy to deal with.

And yeah.. +whatever... let a pro deal with the nasty chemicals... you don't want another third eye growing out of your forehead...:)
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    you don't want another third eye growing out of your forehead...:)
    All the better to see you with my dear....
    Blah blah blah!

Cliff's Pest Control 972-423-0141 are the people that are treating my new house.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

LEAVE PEST CONTROL TO THE PROS

We may be real men able to build blazingly fast track cars (some of us anyway.. I managed to install an intake all by myself at least!), but trust me, some things are better left with those who are trained for it. My dad was an exterminator for a while and I heard some horror stories.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I have been real happy with the Sentricon system that Terminex uses. They bait the pods in the ground and monitor them every quarter. I had a MAJOR issue when I bought my old house. The termites were covering the shouth wall, 2/3 rds of the east wall and the front porch. Terminex initially treated them with the spray where I could see them and then used the baiting system and checked the stakes every month for a year and a half. Those little bugs were eating 22 'steaks' a month for a year before they all died. I have not seen an issue in over 5 years.

Now for the bad part. It costs about $400 minimum/year for renewal on the sentracon system, Nearly double of the regular treatment method.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica