Thread: Need a Radiator

Default Need a Radiator

Anyone upgrade their radiator to an aluminum one and have their old one still?

My "fix" didn't last and I have a stress fracture on the upper tank. I'm looking for a CB solution.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Nope, I destroyed the old one to make brackets for the aluminum one.

I can get mine rebuilt for $45-$75. Just seeing if I can avoid rebuilding this one.
    ...and across the line.

I can pick you up a new one tomorrow on my rounds through Dallas.

The Parts Channel in Irving has them for $116 plus tax and I drive right past it every Tuesday.

Let me know if you want me to pick one up. Or you can swing past their warehouse a 119 Regal Row Suite A.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 05-21-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I have one out of white. Its your if you come over to Lake Worth and get it. (Came from '93) 195k miles, but no leaks, so far. PM if you want it.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I have one for an NB, will it work?
    Just needs the plastic plug on the bottom.
    99 Miata Black

I'll have one available pretty soon (hopefully the end of this weekend). 86k on it unless sammmy replaced the stocker back in the day. I'll be using the hardware from the sides, though, if it matters to ya'.

I'm just assuming the one in my '92 will work perfectly well in your 1.8 car, mind you.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

William, get a metal radiator.
    Don't find out how crappy OEM ones are like we did.
    Barbara's blew at 70k in the La Grange.
    If it wasn't for JB Weld we would have spent 4th of July in Hicksville instead of on the Coast.

Discount Radiator in Garland, B&B in Farmers Branch, about $100

Ataim,

At $3.00 a gallon, it would almost be cheaper to repair mine here. I may be going this route. Thanks for the genrous offer though.

Rogue,

I already have an after market all metal radiator. PO replaced it right before I got it.

Billy,

The NB is a different design. Thanks anyway.

juxt3r,

Thanks also but I don't have OEM radiator rails. See above.

A local shop has same day service and charges $45-$75 to rebuild it. This looks like my best route.

I will eventually need an OEM radiator so I can get the mounts for a future aluminum radiator. So, I'm also in the market for a blown but complete OEM radiator.
    ...and across the line.

go aluminum bro... i got mine for $80. look around.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    go aluminum bro... i got mine for $80. look around.
    Nice of you to offer the suggestion and offer no info on where you got yours. "Look around" is so helpful!
    ...and across the line.

Banned

Well, unfortunately I just got rid of one I had laying for a year. Probably same failure spot as yours. Top, along seem near filler neck. I am still wondering why the hell they use plastic. It just brittles over time with heating cycles. I'll keep in touch w/ you on this, as this is one of my next upgrades for cooling. Every Miata I have owned has had some sort of radiator problem due to failure of the cheapo material. As for the mounts, I might be fabricating my own (or yours if need be).

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, unfortunately I just got rid of one I had laying for a year. Probably same failure spot as yours. Top, along seem near filler neck. I am still wondering why the hell they use plastic. It just brittles over time with heating cycles. I'll keep in touch w/ you on this, as this is one of my next upgrades for cooling. Every Miata I have owned has had some sort of radiator problem due to failure of the cheapo material. As for the mounts, I might be fabricating my own (or yours if need be).
    Thanks Chris. I think they used plastic as it was lighter/cheaper. Considering the age of our cars, the plastic hold up pretty well. Better than my all metal one!
    ...and across the line.